Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

excite home page won't load

(!)

Member with 161 posts.

09-Jan-2004, 01:46 PM #1
excite home page won't load
I've been having this issue. I use excite for email. When I click on it to load it takes like 45 seconds. It's ridiculous. I'm on cable. It appears to only be excite. I can see the page is almost loaded on the bottom, but nothing shows up.

I've done the hijack this and thru here, deleted things. I run adaware.

Are there any settings that I could check?

LindaBEE
Senior Member with 2,347 posts.

09-Jan-2004, 02:56 PM #2
Are you using a firewall that might be blocking ads or cookies? If you use Spyware Blaster, you have to enable the excite cookie that is part of the list of cookies the program normally blocks. Do you have an other application blocking cookies?
Member with 161 posts.

09-Jan-2004, 06:31 PM #3
Hey BillC,

I don't have spyware blaster, just adaware. I also have a firewall. The security is set to medium and I don't see anything about not allowing cookies or anything else that would be blocking them. I agree, it seems like a cookie issue, but it does eventually allow me on. I do see the excite cookie on my hard drive.

I can't remember the site I was at, but I remember it saying to go further, you have to enable cookies. They were enabled in my security settings in IE so I never quite understood that.

Thanks
Linda
Junior Member with 7 posts.

10-Jan-2004, 11:01 AM #4
If you eventually load the page and don't have to log in, then you have the excite cookie.......it doesn't sound like cookie related.

I use Excite too, only it's for the customized start page. I posted a reply in this section reference "The page cannot be displayed". I have a unique problem that only occurs on EXCITE's page. It's a random error that I fix by hitting refresh (quite annoying).

To me it appears that EXCITE has something configured in their web configurations that others do not. My problem doesn't occur when using Opera, Netscape, or Mozilla. It's strictly an IE6 conflict.

I feel my problem is timing related. It's as if IE6 decides too soon that it can't find the page (times out is my guess). I hit refresh and sometimes it will load, and other times it takes several refresh attempts.

When your mail page starts to load slow, have you tried hitting refresh before it finishes? That works for me most times when a page starts to load too slowly in IE6.

I wish I knew what EXCITE did. I've used it for years now and the problem started when they redid their web site about a year ago. I wrote them about the problem (then) but they never replied.

I would dump IE6 except I cherish my LINKS toolbar.
Member with 161 posts.

10-Jan-2004, 01:10 PM #5
It's not just my email at excite. It's the excite home page that I've customized as well. I'll try hitting refresh, but I'm getting tired of dealing with it. Today, when I clicked on the mail icon, it went to the mail login and when I logged in, it showed me that page, but was still loading at the bottom therefore my mouse was of no use. It just locked up 3/4 of the way thru the load. MSN loads in a split second.

It's very annoying.
LindaBEE
Junior Member with 7 posts.

10-Jan-2004, 03:49 PM #6
Maybe you can find an answer on this page from EXCITE Help:
http://help.excite.com/features/emailfaq.html

At least one of those questions sounded applicable
Member with 161 posts.

10-Jan-2004, 05:43 PM #7
Hey the thing I found that may be an issue is, I never sign off the home page. I used to check my mail from a T1 connection and the network kicked us off all the time, so I was constantly logging off and loggin back on. Maybe that's it.

Thanks!
LindaBEE
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!