Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Outlook Express: Changing Time Stamp

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-May-2004, 09:57 PM #1
Since the time change back in April, Outlook Express remains displaying the old time (1 hour behind) on incoming messages only. I have verified from the email sender that their time has been changed. How do I correct this time stamp error?
Thanks for any help or advice
micmac327
Computer Specs
Member with 11,731 posts.

17-May-2004, 10:57 PM #2
Welcome to TSG, micmac.
OE isn't considered a business application, so I've moved you over to web and email, where you'll probably get a faster answer anyway.

Good luck!
Senior Member with 2,281 posts.

18-May-2004, 02:37 AM #3
I don't think you have any control over the time stamps of incoming messages. It is for the senders to control it. You have control over the time stamps of only the outgoing mails.
Member with 17,584 posts.

18-May-2004, 03:01 AM #4
I agree.
The senders PC should be the only source of time stamping.

Their setting under Regional Settings may have them in the wrong time zone, which could cause the 1 hour difference?

As an example an email recently received here was time stamped by the senders PC at 17:26:21

The Senders mailserver time stamped it at 17:23:26 (the sender's PC seems to be 3 minutes fast, if the mailserver is correct)

The ISP received it at 17:26:35

I received it at 17:29:20 (I have 5 minute mail collection)

The mail is stamped as 17:26:21.

The time stamp is 17:26:21

Look at the full headers to see all the time stamps.

18-May-2004, 10:58 PM #5
KiwiGuy,

I just tried the following test b/t my OE and Hotmail accounts. Firstly, I made sure that hotmail was set my my correct time zone. I then sent a test email from OE to hotmail. Result: The sent message in OE was stamped with the correct time; the message received by hotmail was stamped 1 hour ahead of the correct time. I then sent the message back from hotmail to OE. Result: OE received the message with a time stamp 1 hour behind the correct time.
What do you think? I'm even more confused now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiguy
I agree.
The senders PC should be the only source of time stamping.

Their setting under Regional Settings may have them in the wrong time zone, which could cause the 1 hour difference?

As an example an email recently received here was time stamped by the senders PC at 17:26:21

The Senders mailserver time stamped it at 17:23:26 (the sender's PC seems to be 3 minutes fast, if the mailserver is correct)

The ISP received it at 17:26:35

I received it at 17:29:20 (I have 5 minute mail collection)

The mail is stamped as 17:26:21.

The time stamp is 17:26:21

Look at the full headers to see all the time stamps.

18-May-2004, 10:59 PM #6
KiwiGuy,

I just tried the following test b/t my OE and Hotmail accounts. Firstly, I made sure that hotmail was set my my correct time zone. I then sent a test email from OE to hotmail. Result: The sent message in OE was stamped with the correct time; the message received by hotmail was stamped 1 hour ahead of the correct time. I then sent the message back from hotmail to OE. Result: OE received the message with a time stamp 1 hour behind the correct time.
What do you think? I'm even more confused now.
Member with 17,584 posts.

19-May-2004, 01:23 AM #7
By "correct time" what is your reference?

If Hotmail is stamping it with the server time, its probably the server time wherever the server is located. That could be anywhere and could change often.

Its not likely to even be in your time zone.

I did not realise you were talking of Hotmail, I was envisaging real POP3 servers, not webmail.
Anything could happen there, its quite possible that they play "pass the parcel" between different servers in different time zones. Test it on real email servers (POP3)

19-May-2004, 03:11 AM #8
I agree with Kiwiguy. Send a mail from one POP3 account to another and test. Hotmail/Yahoo are all webmails and they must be fiddling around with time stamps and may not be reliable.

If you want to test with another POP3 mail, you can get a free POP3 account at http://www.softhome.net OR http://www.hotpop.com OR I can make one or two for you at my site temporarily.

Test it with real POP3 accounts to get a complete and proper idea.

19-May-2004, 09:10 AM #9
Kiwiguy/AbvAvgUser, (thank you for all your help thus far)

I just sent myself an email from my Outlook Express account to my Outlook Express account. The sent message was stamped the exact same time as my system tray clock, which leads me to believe that it is the reference for it's time. However, the received message was stamped exactly 1 hour behind my time (EST).
Thoughts?

20-May-2004, 02:31 AM #10
You sent a message from a@a.com to a@a.com? Is this what you did?

Also, confirm with your ISP that they do not fool around with time stamps. Some times some government regulations compell them to do so. That makes a time stamp on email more authentic for future proofs and evidences.

20-May-2004, 10:59 AM #11
Yes, I sent an email to and from the same account. The fact that they were both stamped with different times confuses me.
How so I confirm time stamps with my ISP? Does is make a difference that I have dial-up?
I just looked into some past emails in my OE account, and prior to the daylight savings time change in April, the time stamps were correct. My boyfriend is the sender of the majority of emails I receive, he works in IT, and has assured me that his work PC is stamping the correct time.
What do you think?

20-May-2004, 11:20 AM #12
It is obvious that your ISP is messing around with time stamps. In that case, I guess you can't do much. It doesn't matter whether you use dial-up or cable.

All that you can do it call up your ISP customer care and try to confirm that they actually are doing this.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!