Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

[SOLVED] 404 Not Found

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 895 posts.

11-Jun-2004, 04:46 AM #1
[SOLVED] 404 Not Found
The last few days when I go to some sites (including, but not limited to, Yahoo mail), I get a box saying

404 Not Found
/m/apps/psaver/update was not found on this server.

Resin 2.1.8 (built Thu Mar 6 11:50:23 PST 2003)

The only two changes I have made are (i) the update installing DirectX update KB839643 (restoring to an earlier date has not helped), and (ii)updating of ZoneAlarm (I now have version 5.0.590.015 running).

I close the box and everything runs smoothly. It is not really a problem, just an irritant. Thanks for any help or insight.
Retired Administrator with 103,708 posts.

Experience: Advanced
11-Jun-2004, 05:31 PM #2
I just had a similar problem.

I did XP Home updates. Do you have your updates to download and install automatically?

If so, can you post the listing of your installed updates?
Computer Specs
Member with 895 posts.

11-Jun-2004, 05:47 PM #3
I have all Windows XP Home updates (both critical and recommended), all drivers are also updated. All clear on the adaware and spybot S&D front. AVG also uptodate. As I said, this is not really a problem, just a minor irritant.

11-Jun-2004, 07:04 PM #4
I'll do some research, it wasn't my computer, it was hubby's that I installed the updates on and it broke. There was also an update that addressed not being able to access certain websites. I ended up installing that one, and reinstalling........well, actually, I did system restore backwards and only installed that one.........I'm afraid to install the other one that I downloaded with it.........
Computer Specs
Member with 895 posts.

13-Jun-2004, 04:27 PM #5
My Yahoo page
When I go to "my yahoo" page, I get the message,
Oops!
We have run into a temporary problem retrieving your page, please try again later. (0)

Thank you for your patience.
Unquote

The URL then changes to http://my.yahoo.com/error.php?e=0

This problem is very recent (last two days). I have cleared the cache, deleted all the yahoo related cookies, checked the hosts file (the only entry is 127.0.0.1 localhost), adaware and spybot say okay, avg does not point to any viruses, cwshredder did not find anything.

I can access the Yahoo mail and Yahoo messenger (but not the weather, news or sports contents; the message above is repeated there).

I have tried to go to earlier restore points, but that has not helped. The Windows update page says there are no updates available.

I have tried another computer, and I get the same message. My wife can access her "My Yahoo" page on her computer, and on my computer.

As an aside, I have also been getting error 404 for several sites (including Yahoo and TSG), which I just close and continue (this was the topic for another post earlier, not yet resolved).

Many thanks for your help.

13-Jun-2004, 04:33 PM #6
Operating system? Did you do any recent Windows updates?
Computer Specs
Member with 895 posts.

13-Jun-2004, 04:51 PM #7
Win XP (Home), SP1, the last update was Security Update for DirectX 9.0 (KB839643) on 12 June, but when i restore to an earlier date, the error still exists.

Since the error does not show up for other users, I think the problem is not the computer, but something in my yahoo profile. I look into the profile, but can not see anything suspicious. Have also written to Yahoo, hoping that they may have an answer. Thank you.

13-Jun-2004, 04:56 PM #8
Well, I found your other post and I'm going to merge them. Notice the same questions? Please, always reply back to your same post so we don't chase our tails.

13-Jun-2004, 04:58 PM #9
http://forums.techguy.org/t236685.html

Here is the thread I was referring to earlier.
Computer Specs
Member with 895 posts.

14-Jun-2004, 10:30 AM #10
After many attempts, I have been able to get to "My Yahoo" page, by clicking on http://my.europe.yahoo.com/p/d.html

The usual url, my.yahoo.com , still leads to the error in post # 5 above (Oops!...) I mentioned earlier.

I hope this solution is not just a quirk. Many thanks for the sympathetic ear.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Jun-2004, 11:11 PM #11
Not really a reply, but am experiencing the same exact problem for several weeks now. Get the:

404 Not Found

in a small window.

This appears when I go to a number of sites [ espn, weather, etc.] Originally I thought it was from Yodlee, which has been in the process of updating it's sign-in. Deleting their plugin was, however, of no help. For some reason, I cannot make it happen when I would like to see it again, though.

The last Windows XP Pro update I made was on 6/9/04 also to DirectX ( KB839643 ) which is about the time this started to happen. Going to check on Microsoft site - not anything directly related. But I see that I have DirectX 8.1 and have some problems in the Network tab in the DirectX Diagnostic tool. Maybe upgrading to DirectX 9.0b would resolve problem? Or at least resolving the (registry) errors in 8.1 that I have.

Maybe you have similar DirectX problem. Good luck to you too, js73.
Computer Specs
Member with 895 posts.

01-Jul-2004, 04:59 AM #12
I still very regularly get the error 404 on several sites. When I right click and click on view source, some information is given as to how the message is shorter than 512 bytes. I do not really understand what needs to be done, if anything, by the user. I have read elsewhere that this error is due to some broken link. I just close the window and go on surfing, for want of a better solution. Cheers!

This is what I get on right clicking and clicking on "view source"
<title>404 Not Found</title>
<h1>404 Not Found</h1>
<p /><hr />
<small>
</small>

<!--
- Unfortunately, Microsoft has added a clever new
- "feature" to Internet Explorer. If the text in
- an error's message is "too small", specifically
- less than 512 bytes, Internet Explorer returns
- its own error message. Yes, you can turn that
- off, but *surprise* it's pretty tricky to find
- buried as a switch called "smart error
- messages" That means, of course, that many of
- Resin's error messages are censored by default.
- And, of course, you'll be shocked to learn that
- IIS always returns error messages that are long
- enough to make Internet Explorer happy. The
- workaround is pretty simple: pad the error
- message with a big comment to push it over the
- five hundred and twelve byte minimum. Of course,
- that's exactly what you're reading right now.
-->
UNQUOTE

Last edited by js73; 01-Jul-2004 at 07:40 AM..
Junior Member with 3 posts.

01-Jul-2004, 12:43 PM #13
I am getting the same problem. It seemed to start happening for me when Yodlee changed their service page. Is anyone else who has this problem using Yodlee?
Computer Specs
Member with 895 posts.

01-Jul-2004, 01:37 PM #14
I get this problem not just with Yodlee, and often NOT when I log on to Yodlee. It does appear odd, however, that Yodlee is one of the common links in the three users (bop325, iwishuwell and me) here having the problem (there may well be other common links).
Junior Member with 3 posts.

01-Jul-2004, 02:43 PM #15
Yodlee
Yodlee, when it was called "My Yodlee", now it is called "OnCenter" installed some kind of app, probably Java, that watched the browser. If you went to a site such as a bank that it knew about, it would ask if you wanted to add that site to your Yodlee account. My problem occurred just when Yodlee went off line for a while when they converted their site from "My Yodlee" to "OnCenter". My guess is that it left some code running in our browsers that no longer has a link to their new server.
Mark
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!