Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't get on any website. bounces to incredifind.com

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Aug-2004, 06:08 PM #1
Angry Can't get on any website. bounces to incredifind.com
undefined I can not get on any website after I connect with AT&T worldnet. I did some adaware clean up and after this I could not get on any net sites. It does dial and connect but just won't let me surf onto any net site; even on netscape. on netscape it said sites are wrong. I did check internet option and have it auto detect website. and not have proxy server checked. I had accelerator but removed that. on Adaware, I delete all the tracking stuff it told me to get rid of. I did not check to see what it was deleting. I think this incredifind thing defaults to that when the site address is wrong.. when I open internet explorer and type in a web address it starts to go to the site I wanted but then it searches for incredifind.com but nothing shows up. I'm running on Windows XP home edition. This is not the computer I"m having problem with I"m just using another PC to get help. Computer works fine only problem is that I'm not able to get on any website. I also delete temp files, cookies, etc. Please help.
Senior Member with 2,653 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Aug-2004, 07:36 PM #2
Hi,

When you removed the adware it probable damaged the winsock/tcpip files. Two ways to fix:

Run Regedit
Delete the following two registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

Restart the computer
Go to Network Connections
Right click and select Properties
Click on the Install button
Select Protocol
Click on the Add button
Click on the Have Disk button
Browse to the \Windows\inf directory
Click on the Open button
Click on the OK button
Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Click on the OK button
Reboot

Alternatively you cam download the winsock fix

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html

Incredifind changes the default error page in IE, it probaby isn't causing the problem, just reacting to it. Apparently it can be removed from Add/Remove Programs, if you cant find it there, here are the manual removal instructions.

Start the registry editor. This is done by clicking Start then Run. (The Run dialog will appear.) Type regedit and click OK. (The registry editor will open.)
Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Classes \ CLSID \ {5D60FF48-95BE-4956-B4C6-6BB168A70310}', if it exists.
Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Classes \ CLSID \ {4FC95EDD-4796-4966-9049-29649C80111D}', if it exists.
Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Browser Helper Objects \ {5D60FF48-95BE-4956-B4C6-6BB168A70310}', if it exists.
Delete 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Explorer \ Browser Helper Objects \ {4FC95EDD-4796-4966-9049-29649C80111D}', if it exists.
Exit the registry editor.
Restart your computer.
Start Windows Explorer and delete:
%ProgramsDir%\IncrediFind\BHO\incfindbho.dll
Note: %ProgramsDir% is a variable (?). By default, this is C:\Program Files.
Start Microsoft Internet Explorer.
In Internet Explorer, click Tools -> Internet Options.
Click the Programs tab -> Reset Web Settings.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!