Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How can I get rid of Yahoo Search?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 149 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Oct-2004, 09:15 AM #1
Unhappy How can I get rid of Yahoo Search?
Hello!

As of yesterday, sometimes when I type in a web site and click go, a search page by yahoo will pop up instead. I don't have the yahoo tool bar and I would like to know how to keep the Yahoo Search page from loading. (

I do use Yahoo Instant Messenger and have for several months w/o any problems)

It doesn't always happen though and thats why I can't figure this one out. In fact when I type in forums.techguy.org I come directly here LOL. But just now trying to go to searslab.com it popped up again with the Yahoo search page. I have tried going into Internet Options and selecting "don't allow searching from address bar", then sometimes I get page not found error so that's really no fix at all.

I do not want to do a system restore as I was able to remove some tenacious spyware just yesterday (IE Plugin) by deleting all previous restore points, plus I had a trojan in an archived zip file that I also deleted permanently. So even if my restore points were still there I wouldn't use them LOL.

I am using WinXP Service pack 2, and IE version 6. I keep everything updated and use free version of Zone Alarm, Spyware Blaster, and SpySweeper and Avast.

I am all ears for any tips! And thank you in advance. What a wonderful site and wonderful people!!!! Moonifa
Computer Specs
Member with 149 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Oct-2004, 09:21 AM #2
Unhappy Too weird!
I just posted a new thread on getting rid of Yahoo Search. Then tried again to go directly to searslabs.com. and this address popped up with its own search page.

http://lb1.netster.com/Index.asp?Site=c2VhcnNsYWIuY29t

Guess I had better go run SpySweeper yet again. And I could have sworn at bottom of search page (mentioned above) I saw the name "gator". Not good! LOL
Member with 119 posts.

Experience: Almost there...
29-Oct-2004, 01:11 PM #3
Also try the settings on the yahoo search bar. UNCHECK the part where it says "make yahoo my default search engine".

And on a lighter note, yes, gators are no good except when they gave rise to the drink 'gatorade', (thinking back in history that is).

R
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!