Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Zone Alarm and Windows Explorer, not IE

(!)

RandyG   (Randy) RandyG is offline RandyG has a Profile Picture
Member with 7,760 posts.

Experience: Advanced
19-Sep-2000, 06:07 AM #1
I was attempting to help Viper in the OS forum, when he said that Windows Explorer was trying to access the Internet. I told him that it was okay, because that was how my Internet Explorer registered against Zone Alarm. It never registered as IE, always as Windows Explorer. Kento said that is not what should be happening, so . . .

Okay, now I'm worried! I have never had IE try to connect through Zone Alarm. The first time Windows Explorer tried to connect, it was when I had tried to open Internet Explorer right after installing Zone Alarm. I denied access, and IE could not connect to dial-up. I tried again, this time allowing Windows Explorer to connect, and my dialup worked, and was able to connect to the net. Might this be due to the way IE is configured?
Member with 7,760 posts.

19-Sep-2000, 06:33 AM #2
I found the following at the Zone Alarm website.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>3. Why is Internet Explorer recognized as Windows Explorer ?
The reason for this behavior is that Internet Explorer runs in the same process as Windows Explorer by default. Here is how you can change this: - Load Internet Explorer
- Select menu item Tools/Internet Options
- Select tab "Advanced"
- Check the item "Launch browser window in separate process" in the browsing section.
Next time you launch Internet Explorer, ZoneAlarm will recognize it as Internet Explorer and use the correct icon.

Please note that the "Launch browser in a separate process option is no longer available in Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.01. After installing Internet Explorer 5.01, this setting is no longer configurable. The setting is automatically enabled or disabled based on the amount of memory installed in the computer. For more information follow the link below to the Microsoft knowledge base article that discusses this issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/support...40/9/28.asp?LN <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not the case with my system, I don't believe, as I have IE 5.5, and 128 MB Ram. MS' article at the end of the above quote says that as long as you have over 32 MB Ram, then you will be creating different instances automatically. If that is the case, then IE 5.5 isn't doing this. I believe it's time to get rid of 5.5, again!

[This message has been edited by RandyG (edited 09-19-2000).]
Member with 11,942 posts.

19-Sep-2000, 07:22 AM #3
Can I ask why you care what ZA recognizes it as? If this just a thing that's bugging you then I understand that but functional it doesn't seem to be a problem so I would just forget about it.

BTW, I am sure IE is creating different instances. It's my opinion that your getting off on the wrong track because ZA has a bug in distinguishing IE from WE.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 09-19-2000).]
Member with 7,760 posts.

19-Sep-2000, 07:45 AM #4
Howdy bhesson,

You're probably right, but it is just another instance of IE 5.5, if you know what I mean. I just uninstalled it, and when I went to connect, I got the IE message trying to connect to the net from Zone Alarm. It sort of made me feel all tingly inside.

I installed 5.5 about the same time you did, and uninstalled it about the same time you did, but reinstalled it a week or so later, and have put up with some minor annoyances along the way. This was just the tip of the iceberg, and will go back to 5.01, and stay there, until MS fixes 5.5, or comes out with 5.51, if you know what I mean.

As far as functional, Zone Alarm was making it sound like there was no problem with their product, that it works fine if the seperate process dealy was operational. I have no idea what sort of things were going on, so I went back a step. Works now so I can go on my happy little way.

19-Sep-2000, 08:33 AM #5
Once again I don't think it has anything to do with IE or a bug in IE. The problem is ZA is recognizing the wrong program name and that's about it. Not something for anyone to worry about as far as I am concerned.
Member with 7,760 posts.

19-Sep-2000, 08:41 AM #6
I agreed with you on Viper's post. More of a semantic problem with Zone Alarm then anything else. even though it was saying WE was connecting, I was having no problems. Call me Anal, but as soon as I realised that was not the way it was supposed to be, I wanted to change it. The only way to do so was to remove 5.5.
Senior Member with 503 posts.

19-Sep-2000, 08:50 AM #7
There's nothing wrong with Internet Explorer 5.5. You are the only person I have seen that hasn't had a good experience with it. Maybe it's because I am running NT5, but this browser seems to be the most solid thing out there.

ZA detects my Internet Explorer just fine...

PS- I think you guys are getting too worked up with this hacker mess....

Scary!

------------------
NormanSmiley
http://zuzumonk.20m.com
Member with 7,760 posts.

19-Sep-2000, 09:13 AM #8
Wrong angle NormanSmiley,

The forum has been full of people who have had problems with 5.5, and bhesson even stated that it had some troubles, which is why he uninstalled it. http://www.helponthe.net/tsgbb/Forum11/HTML/002387.html

I'm overjoyed that it seems to be working flawlessly with NT5!

19-Sep-2000, 05:34 PM #9
There are bugs that I have seen mainly with how it stores the TIFs and the mouse pointer does not always turn busy when you've clicked on a link. The mouse pointer thing really bothers me and the TIF storage has me baffled. I just like 5.01 so much that I really have no need for 5.5 at this point. Other than that it works fine as far as I have seen. I basically suggest 5.01 over 5.5 because I am very confident that 5.01 is as close to perfect as it can get.

BTW, I do know plenty of others who have had no problems with 5.5.

Also, I agree with Norman on the hacker thing. If some hacker picks you out of the hundreds of millions of available candidates then you should feel special. Obviously the point is that the odds are not great that you'll be hacked. I really believe the majority of stories you here about people getting hacked are just that, stories. Most would not even know they got hacked and most may think they have been, when they haven't. Hell, I'll be honest with you, I don't know if I would even know if I was hacked. A good hacker leaves little or no traces behind.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 09-19-2000).]
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!