Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

swflash.ocx issue

(!)

Member with 39 posts.

24-Jan-2005, 01:28 AM #1
Exclamation swflash.ocx issue
when i surf the web, i get this alert every once in awhile: could not find the file"swflash.ocx". i found out what the file was and tried multiple solutions to getting rid of it. nothing has helped. i've uninstalled and reinstalled flash player several times, even tried finding the file itself on my hard drive and moving it to the recommended folder. nothing going there. anyone have any suggestions?

i run windows xp sp2, use netscape 7.2, flash player 7.0. thanks.
Senior Member with 1,137 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Jan-2005, 01:37 AM #2
Try this website:
http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/we...&enterthread=y

Look at the last post.

Good Luck!
Senior Member with 2,141 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jan-2005, 11:50 AM #3
Hi,

I have found the best way to solve flash problems is to remove all traces of flash and then reinstall. The flash uninstaller leaves a lot behind, including the flash plug in. If the flash plug in is corrupted, then not only will flash not work, but the corrupted plug in will cause subsequent attempts to reinstall flash to fail.

What I would suggest is that you download the Flash 7.0 Uninstaller and run it. Then search for and delete all instances of flash.ocx and swflash.ocx from your computer. Then open windows explorer and browse to C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files and find the shockwave flash object activex control, right click on it and select "remove". Then reboot your computer and Reinstall Flash 7.0 .

Last edited by LuckyStrike; 24-Jan-2005 at 11:59 AM..
flavallee   (Frank) flavallee is offline flavallee is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. flavallee has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 58,919 posts.

Experience: Advanced
24-Jan-2005, 03:47 PM #4
Do a "find" for

swflash.ocx

flash.ocx

Right-click each one, then click Properties - Version(tab).

If the version number is not 7.0.19.0, right-click the file, then click Delete - Yes.

You will likely find that all of the swflash.ocx files are out of date. The current version number will be in a flash.ocx file.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!