Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Same Email address when changing ISP's

(!)

Member with 35 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
13-Mar-2005, 12:10 PM #1
Same Email address when changing ISP's
i am presently using wanadoo broadband and have an email address with them which i use as my main personal address. However, i would now like to change ISP to either BT or UKonline. Once the contract with wanadoo has ended will the wanadoo email address be deleted or can i continue to use it even though they are no longer my ISP? Thanks in advance.
Member with 1,912 posts.

13-Mar-2005, 01:01 PM #2
Somebody will no doubt correct me if I am wrong -

when I changed isp I could still receive email from people who used my old email address but I had to use my new isp to send. ( I also received from those using my new address ) This was the case for some time.
Member with 587 posts.

13-Mar-2005, 04:19 PM #3
How about this for next time...
This won't solve the problem this time but you might want to try a permanent email address to avoid this problem in the future. I use Bigfoot.com but there are several others. Bigfoot's Basic forwarding is free and allows up to 50 emails per day. It can be expanded with a fee of $9.95 per quarter to cover most any needs. With that service you have a Bigfoot.com email address which everyone can use. All messages to that address are forwarded to your current ISP email account. When you change ISPs you just notify Bigfoot to send your mail to your new address.

To your friends and associates any change in ISPs is totally transparent. I've been using it for about 10 years and changed ISPs several times. I NEVER had to notify any friends and associates that my email address had changed. One notification to Bigfoot was all it took. Others kept using my permanent Bigfoot email address. Go here to read about Bigfoot or to Google and type in "free email forwarding" to look at other options.
Member with 1,912 posts.

14-Mar-2005, 12:58 PM #4
In addition to my first reply - My original isp was on dial-up and I changed to broadband. I am not sure what the situation is changing from a broadband isp to another broadband isp.
Senior Member with 605 posts.

14-Mar-2005, 01:06 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil123
...will the wanadoo email address be deleted or can i continue to use it even though they are no longer my ISP? Thanks in advance.
They will kill that email address. Maybe not the day you switch, but it will happen.

Why would they give you bandwidth/storage at their expense?
Account Disabled with 1,099 posts.

14-Mar-2005, 01:17 PM #6
Who should I call if I have any queries about the Broadband service?

For any queries about Wanadoo Broadband, please call our Broadband Technical Support team on 0870 010 2462.

(Lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Calls are charged at national rates and may be recorded for training purposes.)

the above was found here: http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/id/7016.htm
Member with 181 posts.

14-Mar-2005, 03:00 PM #7
Why not just get a web based email account like Hotmail or Yahoo? Then you can change ISP anytime without having to worry about your email account.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!