Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Nudging a Stalled Download, Netscape

(!)

Member with 337 posts.

29-Jan-2000, 06:59 AM #1
Post Nudging a Stalled Download, Netscape
I use Netscape 4.7. I find that long downloads, particularly from Microsoft, often get stalled, if they don't just stop outright.

Are there any tricks to nudge or kick a long stalled download back into action?

I often find myself in this situation regardless of which ISP I use, so I suspect the stalling is due to either the intervening Internet or the download source.

------------------
R. J. Emery
Member with 11,942 posts.

29-Jan-2000, 07:17 AM #2
This might be part of it. Even though the article references IE5, HTTP 1.1 technology is pretty much universal. It must be supported at the server level and the browser level. I know IE supports it, so I guess Netscape does. It allows for downloads to be resumed at the point they left off if there were terminated previously.

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../q222/1/25.asp

BTW, I am not doubting that you may very well be frozen. I am just throwing this in as something to consider. When you get "Stalled" double left click on the DUN icon in your system tray, then click on details to verify that there is no data being transmitted or interaction occuring between your system and the download site.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 01-29-2000).]
Member with 337 posts.

29-Jan-2000, 09:59 AM #3
I wasn't too clear in my initial message. While I do use Netscape 4.7 for most of my downloading, I also use IE 4 and 5 for W98 Updates. Stalling does occur, but usually if I cancel and restart, all goes well to completion.

Using IE 4 on a new W98 2/e machine I have built, here is my current dilemma:

The total download size for the IE 5 update is 15,563 KB. On my first try, the download hung at 6,553 KB. It would go no further. So I cancelled out, and logged on with a different ISP. I restarted the download process, it having started with 3,551 KB. Again the download went no farther than 6,553 KB. If I cancel then resume, it picks up again with 3,551 KB. This cycle apparently will repeat forever and is independent of the ISP. Any ideas?

When at 6,553 KB, I am able to verify that the dial-up line is otherwise quiet.

------------------
R. J. Emery

29-Jan-2000, 10:07 AM #4
You might find this a simple response but I would start the download when I had somewhere to go or something do and just let it sit. By that I mean for a good while as in hours.

29-Jan-2000, 10:14 AM #5
Or try this. I don't know what will happen but I am curious. Start>Settings>CP>InternetOptions>Advanced. Remove the check mark next to "Use HTTP1.1" and click on Apply. Now try to download using IE.

BTW, I am not suggesting you leave that setting turned off. I am just suggesting you try downloading without it and see if there is any difference. It's just a shot in the dark.

Member with 337 posts.

29-Jan-2000, 12:32 PM #6
A shot in the dark is better than nothing. I will turn that option off and see if there is any improvement. I did let the thing run overnight last night. Still the same results. The ISP, however, did log me off after about an hour of inactivity.

------------------
R. J. Emery
Member with 337 posts.

29-Jan-2000, 03:02 PM #7
I don't know if it was the turning off of HTTP or something else I had done, but I was finally able to get through the 6553 KB barrier. After that, everything was smooth sailing.

I tried a number of things, including resuming from where I left off (which picked up a few blocks each time) to restarting from scratch (which picked up a lot of the previously downloaded blocks). Each time I converged more and more on 6553, and then all of a sudden, I was through it. And once through the barrier, it ran to completion without incident.

Nonetheless, I will keep the HTTP option in mind for the future, at least for IE downloads! Thanks, bhesson, for the tip.

------------------
R. J. Emery
Member with 5,223 posts.

Experience: Advanced
30-Jan-2000, 02:39 PM #8
Have you thought of using a download program like gozilla? It does a great job of continuing downloads, even if you have to get off the internet. And if one stalls, you can simply stop it, then tell it to continue from where it left off. Well - that assumes that the site you are getting it from supports resume.

Did I meantion that gozilla is free?
http://www.gozilla.com/
Member with 337 posts.

30-Jan-2000, 02:42 PM #9
Free is indeed the magic word! I shall definitely download it and give it a try. Thank you for the suggestion and recommendation.

------------------
R. J. Emery
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!