Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet Explorer: detecting proxy settings

(!)

marianne marianne is offline marianne has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 436 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
09-Sep-2000, 05:32 PM #1
Woops! I posted this in tips section. Reposting here. Sorry.

I tried to find info in forum on this but couldn't.
I started out with Internet Explorer (5.) after re-istalling Win98 which worked very well and loaded quickly. Then I downloaded Netscape but did not make it my default(?).
After that, IE became slow to load and now I get the message "detecting proxy settings" and I ususally lose patience and click on home button which works but it's still so slow. I'm on DSL. I use both Netscape and Internet Explorer to view how my html appears when working on my site.
Any suggestions for this problem and what the heck does detecting proxy settings mean.
Thanks, Marianne

Moderator with 13,725 posts.

10-Sep-2000, 08:21 AM #2
I don't have DSL, just regular DUN. Does DSL create a DSL folder like DUN has? Just curious.

I would check the settings in IE, Tools>Internet Options>Connections>Settings, to see if Use a proxy server is checked. If so, uncheck it, and test IE. If not, do you have a site that you can look at for the DSL FAQ's?

Which browser do you want to be your default?
To make Internet Explorer the default Tools>Internet Options>Programs>Place a checkmark at the bottom of the page for Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser otherwise, uncheck it to make another browser the default.

[This message has been edited by EAFiedler (edited 09-10-2000).]
marianne marianne is offline marianne has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 436 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Sep-2000, 12:28 PM #3
I prefer Internet Explorer as default. One reason is I can use the keyboard more (find mouse to be a nuisance) and the other is I can highlight and printout only the sections I want and save time, ink and paper.

I'm not familiar with DUN. I have a desktop icon called EnterNet 300 which brings up my PacBell DSL dial-up if I lose the PB dial-up icon which is also on my desk.

When PacBell first installed the DSL they downloaded a modified version of Netscape. However, this time they sent out a computer expert to re-install our DSL and he simply downloaded IE and told us after I asked about Netscape, that we didn't need the modified Netscape, it was Pacbell that wanted people to have the modified version. I guess for ad purposes ;-)

He also told us to request that a tech come our home when there's a problem and not allow their customer care dept. to try and fix things over the phone. They often have users deleting, modifying, etc. things that shouldn't be changed and that we were not the only customers who had this problem.

Thanks for tips. By the way, IE doesn't always give detecting proxy settings message. Sometimes it loads find but slower. I don't get it. It's as if there's a little jokster that goes into the programs when I'm away and makes just enough changes to make one scratch their head.
Marianne
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!