Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Outlook Express "Warnings"

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Aug-2005, 11:05 AM #1
Unhappy Outlook Express "Warnings"
I recently started having a very strange problem w/my outlook express (v6). I have 2 identities and it is only affecting one of these identities, the other identity is problem-free.

Here is the problem:

When I send an email, the send/receive box that pops up tells me that i have an error ("Some errors occurred while processing the requested tasks, etc"). However, the area under the "errors" tab is blank. The message which I was trying to send then remains in the outbox. The message is then resent whenever Outlook sends/receives mail. I have to move the item from the Outbox to "Deleted Items" or "Drafts" to stop outlook from constantly resending the message. I cannot move the message to "sent items," if i try to do so it tells me that an error has occurred.

Does anyone have any idea why it would start doing this?

To make matters more confusing, the problem first started only w/messages that had attachments, then every message, and yesterday, 3 or 4 messages actually didn't have this problem ( i send dozens to hundreds of messages a day), but now it's happening to every message again.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Moderator with 13,743 posts.

04-Aug-2005, 05:05 PM #2
Hi khakikupkake

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

Keep your Inbox empty!
Move messages you want to keep to folders of your own creation in Outlook Express.

Outlook Express is probably due for some maintenance.
Close all windows.
Open Outlook Express
File > Work Offline
Click on the Local Folders folder
File > Folder > Compact All Folders
Walk away from the computer until the process is complete.
Avoid starting this process if the possibility of a power outage is imminent such as a thunderstorm in progress.

Should the compaction process ever be interrupted, restart it before accessing any folders and allow it to finish.

Send yourself a Test message to see if there are still problems.

If the messages are still stuck in the Outbox:

Enable Show Hidden Files and folders
  • Open My Computer,
    Tools > Folder Options > View tab,
    under Hidden Files and Folders, verify Show Hidden Files and Folders is selected.
    Remove the check mark for Hide Extensions for known file types.

Move any messages you want to save, out of the Outbox folders, check both Identities.
Close Outlook Express.

Search:
  • Start > Search > For Files or Folders > All files and folders,
    In the field for: all or part of the file name
    Key in:
    .dbx
    Below that, click on More advanced options
    in the field: Type of File, select (All Files and Folders)
    place a checkmark in:
  • Search system folders
  • Search hidden files and folders
  • Search subfolders
    click Search

Locate the: Outbox.dbx files and rename them Outbox.old
There should be two since you have two Identities.

Restart Outlook Express with the Problem Identity.
Send yourself a Test message, the first message without an attachment.
If that is successful, send yourself a Test message with an attachment.

Let us know if that works or not.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

11-Jul-2007, 11:10 AM #3
Two years later, I just had exactly same problem with my father's computer. As SW tests expert, I solved it and will share the simplest cause/solution:

Cause (typical): Your SENT-ITEMS database file has reached it's maximum size (in my case 2GB). So every mail of more than a few kilobytes will still be sent, but it wont be copied to the SENT-ITEMS file. Therefore, it stays in your BEING-SENT file, and Microsoft cretin Software coders detect this as an unknown-empty error and log it.

Result: You get angry users on the other side of the line complainting about receiving the same (large) mail over and over again, while your small mails are sent with no problem.

Solution: Find your OE archive directory (ex: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrador\Definições locais\Application Data\Identities\{09187D9C-187D-4ACC-979D-A6494A832404}\Microsoft\Outlook Express), confirm that the file is nearly 2Gigabytes in size (ex: (2.147.446.256) and DELETE the SentItems.dbx file, or whatever the name in your language is - in my language, it's Itens enviados.dbx). Finally, blame Microsoft for not having decent Software Testers/Coders.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!