Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Can't Stay Connected to the Internet

(!)

Junior Member with 7 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Sep-2005, 08:24 AM #1
Solved: Can't Stay Connected to the Internet
Hi. I am having a problem staying connected to the INTERNET. I can get connected but the connection lasts between 2 and 15 minutes usually before disconnecting. I am using Windows XP and Smartlink (modem). 9 calls to my ISP has not solved the problem. I hope someone can help, Thanks.
jkskinsfan jkskinsfan is offline   jkskinsfan has a birthday soon!
Member with 143 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Sep-2005, 10:21 AM #2
Hi Aachmed. Welcome. I have "Cable" Internet and a while back I had a similar problem with intermittently losing my Internet connection. No trouble getting re-connected but after a short period I would disconnect again. After going round-and-round with Tech Support for several days with no luck, it turned out that my "MODEM" was the problem. Hooked up a newer Model and haven't had a bit of trouble since. Don't know if that's your problem, but it's worth looking at. Good luck.

06-Sep-2005, 11:35 AM #3
Thanks
I was hoping this wasn't the case but it seems likely. I have cable on order but in the mean time I may need to get a new modem. Nothing else seems to be working. Thanks!
Senior Member with 2,653 posts.

06-Sep-2005, 01:23 PM #4
Can you provide the model of the modem?
Senior Member with 159 posts.

06-Sep-2005, 01:46 PM #5
You aren't using AOhelL are you? Newer members often get booted frequently. If this is the case it should clear up in about 2-3 weeks.

However, if you are getting a cable internet, then i would work on deleting AOL from my comp.

Other than that, if you live in a rural area, connections can be iffy due to older lines, and be dropped for the same reasons.

06-Sep-2005, 02:09 PM #6
I don't know the model actually. I know it's Smartlink 56k. I'll have to check when I get home. I'm not on AOhelL, lol, been there done that. I am using WM Connect. I know, It's cheap and you get what you pay for but for the past 8 months I haven't had a problem that they weren't able to fix. There was a problem with the Service Pack 2 causing problems but a quick download fixed it and no more problems. WM Connect software is made by AOL and is essentially AOL. 7 screen names, the little running guy pops up, AOL Instant Messenger works with WM as if it were AOL etc.

06-Sep-2005, 02:32 PM #7
Theres a few things you can try if its the modem. Go to control panel, then phone and modems, modems, properties, and advanced, click "advanced port settings" and untick "use fifo buffers".

click ok and click change default preferences, change flow control to xonxoff, and lower the port speed to 57600.

Click Okay, then in the extra initialisation box you can try one of the following

at&f
at+MS=90
at+MS=56
at+MS=34
AT&F+MS=34,0,24000,33600

Without knowing which modem you have its hard to say which are the correct settings, but experiment and try different things.

Also, if none of that works, post a hijack this log

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html

download it and unzip it to its own folder, run it and post a log - DO NOT FIX anything

06-Sep-2005, 02:37 PM #8
Thanks I'll try this tonight and let you know how it goes.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
06-Sep-2005, 02:44 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leareth
Other than that, if you live in a rural area, connections can be iffy due to older lines, and be dropped for the same reasons.
Apologies for 'butting in'

"Would a Broadband connection still experience problems over a rural BT line that was having problems with Dial-up?"

TIA.
x

07-Sep-2005, 08:04 AM #10
Possibly, though usually when you have a DSL connection or other broadband (cable, sattelite) the lines are newer.

07-Sep-2005, 09:27 AM #11
Thanks Dugg, it worked! The answer was "at+MS=90". Thanks again!
Junior Member with 2 posts.

Experience: Beginner
07-Sep-2005, 09:39 AM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leareth
Possibly, though usually when you have a DSL connection or other broadband (cable, sattelite) the lines are newer.
Thanks. I'm hoping Broad Band will 'solve' my connection problems - but I'll just have to wait and see!

Thanks.

07-Sep-2005, 09:58 AM #13
It should. Other than modem failures, or other damaged/disconnected/missing media, and DNS servers being down I have never encountered a disconnect problem with broadband.

Of course my knowledge is nowhere near all encompassing.

07-Sep-2005, 10:29 AM #14
I must ask...changing the flow control down to 57600 worked for the dial up service. Should this be adjusted again when I have the cable service installed? Thanks.

07-Sep-2005, 12:26 PM #15
Nope, the setting is for the dial-up modem only. As for the broadband, you may have some problems if the line is too long and your on ADSL. However if your going to cable then it shouldn't be an issue
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!