Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't Save Earthlink Messages to XP Folder

(!)

Member with 25 posts.

20-Sep-2005, 10:19 PM #1
Question Can't Save Earthlink Messages to XP Folder
Hello TSGuys!!!

I have a troubling email problem.

I'm trying to save a few hundred Earthlink email messages from my wife's work laptop to an XP new folder I created on her laptop screen.

When I open the Earthlink mailbox, click Select All, and attempt to drag the messages to the new folder, the method won't work (I get the circled slash).

I was surprised by this because on my laptop, which uses Outlook/Outlook Express and ATT WorldNet, I've been able to drag and drop in hundreds of messages from work to my on-screen folder (both use Outlook).

My wife has a Dell, running Earthlink and Earthlink Total Access.
It is presently networked, but will be discontinued in the next 2 weeks.
She will keep the computer, but the Earthlink service will be terminated.

My final goal is to be able to save all my wife's Earthlink messages, burn them to a CD, and be able to view the messages on both computers, either as a Word document, or using ATT WorldNet.

I searched for solutions on the web but found none.

Questions:

1. Can the Earthlink messages be saved in a Win XP folder?

2. If so, how?

3. If successful, can the messages be viewed without the Earthlink program?

4. Will keeping the Earthlink installed, but not connected, enable me to at least open and read the messages?

You guys have helped me a great deal in the past, and I'm hoping you can come through for me one more time.

Thank you in advance.

adf
Moderator with 13,756 posts.

21-Sep-2005, 01:53 PM #2
Hi adf

Unless I am mistaken, it sounds like your wife is accessing Earthlink mail using web mail.

Try setting up an account for her in Outlook or Outlook Express, using the following as the POP and SMTP servers:
pop.earthlink.net
smtp.earthlink.net

Download the message onto her laptop, and they will be available until she deletes them.

I would think once Earthlink is canceled, her e-mail account will be canceled as well and the messages will no longer be accessible.

Let us know if that works for you.
Member with 25 posts.

29-Sep-2005, 08:40 PM #3
Unhappy Tried Your Solution But It Didn't Work (my screwup?)
To EAFiedler:

I believe you're right!

As you suggested, my wife's Earthlink mail is transmitted via web mail. I opened some of her messages and checked the Properties box; it showed the messages opened in IE, rather than Earthlink (on my computer, they are opened in OE).

I did set up the OE account using Earthlink as POP and SMTP servers, but when I attempted conversion, it didn't work (I may have done it incorrectly).

Bottom Line: All I want to do is save Earthlink messages to a folder, install the folder on my other laptop, and open the messages in the Outlook or OE format.

Once I opened my wife's messages and saved it to the on-screen XP folder, they opened just fine.

However, she has about 200 unopened messages she wants to save, and that's where I continue to experience a problem.

When I export her unopened messages in .csv (can't save or drag them) to the XP folder, they are not in the IE format, but in others like excel, etc., that are unreadable.

When I change the "open as" target to IE, I just get the toolbar, but the text remains jumbled.

The reason I thought dragging the file was possible is because on my computer, I drag unopened OE messages to my on-screen XP folder all the time, and they open with no problems (my computer does not have Earthlink installed).

I suppose I can open each of my wife's messages and save them individually, but for 200 messages?!

Questions:

1. Is there a way I can save all the closed messages, then convert them so that they are readable in Outlook or OE? I tried using "run as" but there was no immediate Outlook or OE program to assign it. Also, when I "browse", I can't figure out the specific file to assign it, although I see the huge Outlook and OE folders (assigning it to a folder didn't work).

2. If not, is there a way I can open all the closed messages and save them at once to the XP file? (again, once one is opened, it is saved and readable in the original format).

All the Earthlink folders are saved in .csv

Just hoping you or someone has a magic solution. If not, I'll do it hard, slow way.

Thanks for your input and considering my questions.

adf
Moderator with 13,756 posts.

30-Sep-2005, 12:36 AM #4
Try Importing the .csv files into Outlook.
File > Import and Export > Import from another program or file > Comma Separated Values (Windows)
Browse to a .csv file and Import it into Outlook.

Once you have all the messages Imported into Outlook, you should then be able to Import them into Outlook Express.
In Outlook Express,
File > Import > Messages > Microsoft Outlook

Let us know if that works for you.
LauraMJ has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Administrator with 12,369 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Sep-2005, 08:53 AM #5
If they are on the Earthlink web mail, they are still on Earthlink's server. If I'm not mistaken, you will first have to download them to your wife's (or your) computer. If they are in the webmail, they have never been downloaded to a computer, and therefore cannot be saved to that computer.

I believe you will need to configure an email client to download the messages, and then they will be accessible to saving to any folder.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!