Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Yahoo Messenger Won't Open

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 18,196 posts.

Experience: I put the "P" in PEBKAC
14-Dec-2005, 09:31 PM #1
Yahoo Messenger Won't Open
Hi all! I came home this afternoon and "woke my computer up" and my messenger just kind of freaked out on me. It was in my system tray (the lower right-hand corner... I think that's what it's called ), but it wouldn't expand. So I mouse over to click on it, and the icon disappeared! I tried to open it from my desktop and it just makes a little "ding" sound and nothing happens. Help! I just got a new computer, so I downloaded the latest version this past weekend. I did a search on the Yahoo Messenger Help site, but little to no help there. Also, I rebooted last night because I had downloaded some other programs and while I wasn't instructed to reboot after they were installed, I decided to do it anyway just to ... well I don't know why. It's just what I've always done. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

Edit: After reading some more "help" at the Yahoo site, I should clarify that the problem is not signing in. It won't open even to give the sign-in window.

Experience: Getting on everyone's ner
14-Dec-2005, 11:24 PM #2
Hi Di!!

I'm trying to follow the sequence. You installed Yahoo Messenger and had it working this past weekend, then installed some other applications last night (rebooting each time not a bad idea), and this afternoon Yahoo messenger wouldn't work after your computer went into enegry saving mode. So, I have two questions: Did you use messenger succesfully after installing the other applications? What were the other applications?

Also, the first thing I'd try is uninstalling messenger, rebooting, and reinstalling it.
Computer Specs

15-Dec-2005, 09:23 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thingamajig
Hi Di!!
Thingy!!! You dirty dog! Where have you been? Good to see you around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingy
I'm trying to follow the sequence. You installed Yahoo Messenger and had it working this past weekend, then installed some other applications last night (rebooting each time not a bad idea), and this afternoon Yahoo messenger wouldn't work after your computer went into enegry saving mode. So, I have two questions: Did you use messenger succesfully after installing the other applications? What were the other applications?

Also, the first thing I'd try is uninstalling messenger, rebooting, and reinstalling it.
Well.... I didn't exactly reboot every time I downloaded something. I think I dl'd Google Talk and MSN Messenger (I sound like an IM addict...) and at the end of the night, I rebooted. They were all working fine at the same time. It seems like only after the reboot, things seem to be strange. So anyway, I did as you asked and uninstalled and reinstalled. Then I got a puzzling dialog box that told me that I already had Yahoo Messenger installed on my machine. Like.... were you not here five minutes ago when I uninstalled it? So anyway. After the reinstall, I rebooted but I haven't had a chance to test it out since the reboot was right before I went to bed and no one's awake to talk to anyway. It did let me sign in, though. So that's a plus. I'll try actually using it tonight and let you know.

Thanks for the help, Thingy. You're a gem.
Account Disabled with 6,271 posts.

Experience: Getting on everyone's ner
15-Dec-2005, 09:38 AM #4
What... no AIM or ICQ also? You still have a few messenger programs left to install. Of course, startup will take 30 minutes....

These companies are so competitive, it would not surprise me to learn that one of them effects the installation of the other. I'm boycotting Yahoo messenger since it changed my default search engine in firefox from google to Yahoo without asking. If you install AIM, you'll get the "bonus" of their browser. It seems you can't get anything for free on the internet anymore without getting something else for "free".
Computer Specs

15-Dec-2005, 09:45 AM #5
No, I think I'm tapped out on IM programs. I only really have Google Talk b/c it has a mail notifier in my system tray (that's what it's called, right?) and I get my TSG notifications through gmail. I only have two friends on MSN, but I have like, 80 on Yahoo. I've always been a Yahoo geek which is why I am extra confused. Normally I figure them out pretty fast. But it's still making a lot of dinging noises. Which I am NOT OK with!

Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 16,256 posts.

15-Dec-2005, 11:20 AM #6
A few thoughts first...

THING! How ya doin man? Good to see you about

Di ~ the new version of Yahoo...I don't like it, gave me fits
If you want to try a previous version...go to http://www.oldversion.com/
Now that it seems to be working....try a reboot and make sure it still works. If so, try putting the computer to sleep again (was it in sleep mode...or hibernation?) My system does not like certain applications to be running if it goes into hibernation, and they do not work right when I bring it live....sleep mode, I've not had a problem with.

If you wish...you can now come to church with me! A church that is NOT normal...a church for people who don't like 'church'
Computer Specs

15-Dec-2005, 01:15 PM #7
Hm.... I don't know if it was sleeping or hibernating. At the end of the night, I just close all of the windows, turn off the monitor and let it go idle. Am I supposed to tell it to sleep? Or hibernate? I mean, I close the windows but both Yahoo and MSN are very diligent in telling me that they are still running. Should I completely sign out?

So what problems did you have with the new version? I've noticed that it has a lot of features that I will neverrrrrrrrrrr use so maybe going back to the older version wouldn't be the worst thing ever.
Computer Specs
Retired Moderator with 16,256 posts.

15-Dec-2005, 05:08 PM #8
I had to disable the hibernation on mine....here's how to check [indent]right-click on the desktop and select 'properties' > then select the screen saver tab (usually third from the left) > at the bottom of that window will have a button for power, click on it > select the hibernate tab (usually first on the right) > there will be a checkbox that says "enable hibernation" > I had to uncheck mine.

On the first tab of the power options...you can control things like turning off hard drives, monitors and how long before it goes into systems standby.

I always sign out completely for security....closes the port, besides...I"m not there to talk anyway

I thought the new version was slower, and I couldn't shut off all the sounds. There was also constant network traffic even when I wasn't signed in (which I didn't like) -- That was all I found before I went back to the old version
Member with 3,012 posts.

16-Dec-2005, 04:28 PM #9
The latest release of Yahoo I could never get to work right on my computer (any of the computers I use).
It works fine, unless I want to right-click or I want to click on the smilie icon, or I want to change my online status.
Then it just shuts down.

So use something like Gaim. It is a mulit-messenger. You can use YIM, AIM, MSN, IRC, ICQ, etc. acounts with it.
Computer Specs

16-Dec-2005, 04:47 PM #10
Wow, thanks Name! Good to know that even smart people have trouble with Yahoo. I did a reinstall and it's actually working alright for now, but I'm going away for the weekend so we'll see how it's behaving when I get back!

I think I'm going to wait until then before I mark this thing solved. Thanks everyone for your help! I'm sure if it still acts up, you'll be hearing from me loud and clear.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!