Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

firefox cannot find google??

(!)

Member with 60 posts.

05-Apr-2006, 01:55 PM #1
firefox cannot find google??
Recently, both computers in my home network, cannot access google.com. I get to a page on both machines that says:

Google Error
Not found
The requested URL /cgi-bin/webcm?getpage=../html/hurl_status_real.html was not found on this server.

Strange. Any and all advice appreciated. I was changing some of the port forwarding settings on the router just before the problem began... though i do not know if that is related.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 100 posts.

Experience: Advanced
05-Apr-2006, 06:50 PM #2
This is most likely related to the router settings you changed. What did you change exactly? Did it have anything to do with the remote administation of the modem such as what port it uses? (Port 80?) or any DNS settings?
Member with 143 posts.

06-Apr-2006, 01:59 PM #3
I have a netgear router and I was having a lot of trouble with errors like this. Keep trying, but it is likely your internet connection is being dropped by your router. Check your router's manufacturer site for a new download. I did and I am having a lot less of these bad page loads.
Computer Specs
Member with 65 posts.

06-Apr-2006, 02:39 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by food7
Google Error
Not found
The requested URL /cgi-bin/webcm?getpage=../html/hurl_status_real.html was not found on this server.
This leads me to believe that you are being redirected somewhere other than Google. I would suspect virus/malware could possibly be hijacking you. Try a good, updated virus scan in Safe Mode (F8 when you start your PC) to see if that fixes it. If not, let us know for additional troubleshooting steps.
Member with 60 posts.

06-Apr-2006, 07:44 PM #5
I am currently running a virus scan in safe mode. I am connecting from my laptop which goes on line wirelessly, and it finds google just fine. However, my other desktop also has a similar problem when trying to connect to google. I will let you know how it does after the virus scan, but it seems strange that the problem could be happening on two computers, and not a third that are all a part of the same network.
Member with 60 posts.

06-Apr-2006, 11:15 PM #6
Still after running the virus scan, I cannot access google. I will reset the router tomorrow and post the results.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!