Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Firefox "a script on this page may be busy...."

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 14 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-May-2006, 06:49 AM #1
Firefox "a script on this page may be busy...."
" a script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete". I started getting this message after I allowed Ewido (sp?) maleware program to remove over 1000 suspcious files from my Firefox browser. BIG mistake. Firefox now takes forever to load and has slowed to a crawl. I'm thinking I should remove Firefox (I tried reinstalling without removal) and reinstall. How do I keep from losing all my settings?
Senior Member with 629 posts.

Experience: Mind-Taker
29-May-2006, 11:00 AM #2
Is there a particular site in which this occurs the most? What extensions do you have? The error message you're getting is usually the fault of the website, not the fault of the the browser.
Computer Specs

29-May-2006, 12:16 PM #3
It usually happens when I open Firefox. I've had it set to open the same 5 tabs for the past year without a problem. Each web site opens without a problem if not part of the home page sequence.
Member with 6,052 posts.

29-May-2006, 03:03 PM #4
You might try and clear all History, Cache, and Cookies and see if that helps.Try and create a new profile and copy your settings to the new profile. Firefox doesn't delete your profile folder when you uninstall it. Just to be sure, if you decide to uninstall and reinstall again. I would copy my Profile folder to a save place on my hard drive. I always keep a backup copy of my profile in My Documents folder named Firefox Backup. You didn't say what OS you are using, but the profile folder in Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
Computer Specs

29-May-2006, 05:17 PM #5
I'm working on it using http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_d..._%28Firefox%29
You are right on target. Thank you
Computer Specs
Member with 2,183 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-May-2006, 07:48 PM #6
I encountered this same problem with Google Toolbar on ME a while ago. Do you have it? If you do, try upgrading to the latest version if Augie65's advice doesn't help and see if that fixes the problem.
Computer Specs

30-May-2006, 09:47 AM #7
Problem solved. I removed ALL my extensions and added just a few essentials and no more script errors.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!