Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

AT&T certificate coming up in Google??? *pictures*

(!)

Senior Member with 884 posts.

Experience: Fairly Advanced
31-Jul-2006, 07:34 PM #1
AT&T certificate coming up in Google??? *pictures*
Hello,

Recently I have been hearing that ISP's such as AT&T are recording internet activities. On DL.TV, Patrick Norton showed how your traffic was going through AT&T servers even if you weren't on AT&T. He did this by doing a tracert.

So, this is the weird thing. I was searching in google, and mispelled "delivery". When the results came up, I was asked to validate the certificate by AT&T research. AT&T on Google??
What in the world is this about?

Here are the pictures:
http://i7.tinypic.com/21lkc3b.jpg
http://i7.tinypic.com/21lk6l5.jpg

EDIT: If those pictures are too blurry (I have no clue why they are), I can try and post other ones. I hope I am not incredibly stupid and this is something totally common. I have never heard of it before, so that is why I am asking.

Last edited by AhrenBa; 31-Jul-2006 at 07:42 PM..
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 46,366 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
01-Aug-2006, 10:56 AM #2
1) AT&T provides internet backbone connections between major access points. It is quite possible that part of the data path between your computer and a given web site may be carried over the AT&T network. A tracert will show a list of router IP addresses (and names) between the source and destination points. A router is not the same as a server and I am not sure that there is any way to tell the difference for the tracert data. A router could be configured to log source and destination address for every packet of information that passes through it. It would be a very very big log.

2) I also did a Google search for "delievery". The fifth hit that came back was for "[graphviz] power delievery map" with a URL of "https://mailman.research.att.com/pipermail/graphviz-interest/2002q3/000538.html". When I clicked on that link, I got the same certificate warning screen that you show in one of your pictures. Are you sure you did not click on a link in the Google search results?

3) I may be totally wrong on items #1 and #2. In that case, I suggest you put on a hat made of heavy aluminum foil and keep an eye out for unmarked black helicopters hovering over your home.
Deceased with 3,998 posts.

01-Aug-2006, 11:21 AM #3
Could always just contact ATT - Florham Park, NJ and ask them? I haven't got a clue what it all means.

Version V3
Serial Number 2319 D5CF 0000 0000 0045
Signature Algorithm sha1RSA
Issuer ATT, Research, Labs, Florham Park, NJ, US, administrator@research.att.com
Valid From Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:21:45 AM
Valid To Friday, March 28, 2008 8:21:45 AM
Subject root@mailman.research.att.com, mailman.research.att.com, Research, AT&T Labs, Florham Park, NJ, US

Public Key RSA (1024 Bits)
Subject Key Identifier 90A9 FC8A F684 F21A DC49 CCF2 B399 48C2 8B1D 09BA
Authority Key Identifier KeyID=4B53 B79E BD1F 174A B4D9 1372 4440 F110 DE1F 75D5
CRL Distribution Points [1]CRL Distribution Point: Distribution Point Name:Full Name:URL=ldap:///CN=ATT,CN=njfpsrv02,CN=CDP,CN=Public%20Key%20Services,CN=Services,CN=Config uration,DC=research,DC=att,DC=com?certificateRevocationList?base?objectClas s=cRLDistributionPoint, URL=http://njfpsrv02.research.att.com/CertEnroll/ATT.crl
Authority Information Access [1]Authority Info Access: AccessMethod=Certification Authority Issuer(1.3.6.1.5.5.7.48.2), Alternative Name=URL=ldap:///CN=ATT,CN=AIA,CN=Public%20Key%20Services,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=re search,DC=att,DC=com?cACertificate?base?objectClass=certificationAuthority, [2]Authority Info Access: AccessMethod=Certification Authority Issuer(1.3.6.1.5.5.7.48.2), Alternative Name=URL=http://njfpsrv02.research.att.com/CertEnroll/njfpsrv02.research.att.com_ATT.crt
Certificate Template 1E12 0057 0065 0062 0053 0065 0072 0076 0065 0072
Key Usage Digital Signature, Key Encipherment(A0)
Enhanced Key Usage Server Authentication(1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1)
Basic Constraints Subject Type=End Entity, Path Length Constraint=None
Thumbprint Algorithm sha1
Thumbprint 7DC9 747A 3ACA 3BFD 04D6 E3AE FA81 88C0 57D0 A396
Senior Member with 884 posts.

Experience: Fairly Advanced
01-Aug-2006, 11:59 AM #4
Quote:
2) I also did a Google search for "delievery". The fifth hit that came back was for "[graphviz] power delievery map" with a URL of "https://mailman.research.att.com/pipermail/graphviz-interest/2002q3/000538.html". When I clicked on that link, I got the same certificate warning screen that you show in one of your pictures. Are you sure you did not click on a link in the Google search results?
Yep, all I did was search, I didn't click on any links. That is what was weird.

Quote:
3) I may be totally wrong on items #1 and #2. In that case, I suggest you put on a hat made of heavy aluminum foil and keep an eye out for unmarked black helicopters hovering over your home.
LOL!! Nah, I am not that paranoid, I was just wondering what this was. I though I stumbled upon something of notice.

Quote:
Could always just contact ATT - Florham Park, NJ and ask them? I haven't got a clue what it all means.
Yeah, that is probably a good idea. Thanks.

Thanks guys for the help and suggestions. I appreciate it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!