Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

SMTP Send Problem

(!)

Member with 34 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Aug-2006, 10:52 PM #1
Angry SMTP Send Problem
I'm suddenly having sporadic problems accessing my ISP's SMTP server when sending mail. I can fail one minute and work 10 minutes or an hour later. It has been doing this now for a week. I have used Netscape email for years, currently on version 7.2 for some time now. My ISP is Comcast, so my outbound mail server is smtp.comcast.net, standard port 25 as always. I have made no changes to mail settings, login names, etc., no changes to my Norton settings (which yes include inbound and outbound mail scanning, but why should that suddenly start causing problems after being installed for months?) The only error message I get is from Netscape mail, which says a connection to the SMTP server failed (and of course then works 10-60 minutes later). Any ideas on why this would suddenly start being an intermittent problem? Thanks.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 244 posts.

Experience: Advanced
12-Aug-2006, 11:24 PM #2
When the error occurs, can you ping the smtp server?
Junior Member with 1 posts.

13-Aug-2006, 09:09 AM #3
Similar problem.
I can't send or receive email with outlook. I have gone through all of the motions to set this account up and it is not working.

I get this error message:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: *myincomingservername*', Server: *myoutgoingservername*, Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E
Computer Specs

13-Aug-2006, 11:31 AM #4
Right. The first step in any kind of connectivity issue is to see if you can ping the server at the same time you are having the problem. This will help in determining if there is a server problem, a network problem, or an application problem. But, it is just the first step. It helps in determining the next step. Open a command prompt and type ping smtp.comcast.net.

You should see something like:
Quote:
Pinging smtp.comcast.net [63.240.77.77] with 32 bytes of

Reply from 63.240.77.77: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=49
Reply from 63.240.77.77: bytes=32 time=90ms TTL=49
Reply from 63.240.77.77: bytes=32 time=100ms TTL=49
Reply from 63.240.77.77: bytes=32 time=108ms TTL=49

Ping statistics for 63.240.77.77:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 80ms, Maximum = 108ms, Average = 94ms
If there is a problem you will get Request timed out.
Member with 34 posts.

13-Aug-2006, 06:46 PM #5
Datamonger,
I am Msilvers50, the poster of the original problem. Notice Eeor3 posted the second entry. He has a related but different problem which perhaps should have been put in a separate thread.

Anyway, thank you for your suggestion. I understand why you have suggested ping and am familiar with the output it produces. Good idea to see if I can reach Comcast's SMTP server to help narrow down the problem. I have been able to send emails today without problems (could Comcast have finally fixed it after a week???). I am watching for the next time it occurs. If and when it does I will try to ping the server and will report back here.

Eeor3,
The only help I can offer is I've seen other posts with problems similar to yours. Disable Norton Anti-Virus or Norton System Works inbound and outbound email scanning if you currently have it enabled. I had the problem in the past where that disrupted by email. I will leave up to the Windows BBS administrators if your problem should be placed in a separate thread.

Msilvers50
Computer Specs

13-Aug-2006, 06:56 PM #6
msilvers,

Woops, I didn't even notice. I peruse many messages so it is easy for me to overlook this. Eeor3 should have searched the forums for a similar problem because, yes, it is a common problem.
Member with 34 posts.

16-Aug-2006, 07:25 PM #7
Finally had the mail sending, and this time also mail receiving problem again. While it was happening, I pinged both mail.comcast.net (for outbound) and smtp.comcast.net (for inbound) mail. Both pings timed out, where normally I get 50-75 ms response times. While this occurs accessing various web sites completed with no problems.

Obviously I can't send or receive mail if I can't ping my ISP's mail servers. Strange it is intermittent though, and not affecting other sites, so it sounds like it's their mail servers, not my general network connection. Sounds like something I have to call into their less-than-stellar tech support unless you have a different suggestion. Thanks.
Computer Specs

16-Aug-2006, 07:29 PM #8
If you can contact other sites but not Comcast's mail servers then the problem lies with those servers. I would contact them in some way EVERY time you experience the problem. "The squeeky wheel gets the oil" technique...

Last edited by datamonger; 16-Aug-2006 at 08:06 PM..
Member with 901 posts.

16-Aug-2006, 07:45 PM #9
when both working and not working:

tracert mail.comcast.net
tracert smtp.comcast.net

They may have a router that's up and down like a yoyo and don't know it. I've seen a few isp's with that happening. If it is, they probably would appreciate the heads up.

I can trace both of them from here... trace both servers once and keep a record of the hops. When it goes down, locate the router that it stops at and let them know
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

17-Aug-2006, 05:44 AM #10
Wink smtp
its better to telnet to your smtp server

in the RUN

telnet smtp_server 25
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

17-Aug-2006, 05:46 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunchi
some times u will get a reply from the server but its better to telnet to your smtp server and chk

go to RUN

telnet your_smtp_server 25
Computer Specs

17-Aug-2006, 06:53 PM #12
Doing a telnet will not be effective if you cannot access it with your client on an intermittent failure. Doing a ping will check to see if you can reach the server (even if the mail service has died) and a tracert will give a clue as to where the disruption could be. Telnetting to your mail server can be seen as an attempt to hack into it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!