Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

gibberish email

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

30-Aug-2006, 12:56 PM #1
Question gibberish email
Fairly often,I get email from 2 friends and it is gibberish; a bunch of symbols and letters and characters. Sometimes, if I scroll down far enough, I'll finally come across the message but usually not. However, from the same 2 friends, their email is also often received in readable form. Any ideas- why and how to fix? Thanks for any help. Should add, I use OE 6, OS is Wdws XP, SP2.
Deceased with 3,998 posts.

30-Aug-2006, 02:26 PM #2
I've had similar experience with email from Yahoo! that the person used Word as their email editor.

Any chance your friends use Word? (Or a similar Word Processor).

sekirt
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

05-Sep-2006, 11:21 AM #3
Yahoo doesn't appear to have anything to do with the "gibberish" problem. One of the friends I referred to says "No Yahoo"; the other friend was unreachable for a few days and I wanted her answer before I let you know if your answer could be my solution. She's back and never has used Yahoo. So, my problem still exists. Thanks for your reply but I'm still looking for a solution.

05-Sep-2006, 03:14 PM #4
Yours might be something entirely different than what I am aware of. An example would help identify what it is you are talking about.

Copy/Paste what you see, here in the forum. Don't post anything that is personal or that reveals email addresses (you can paste it, but put xxx's so that no one sees the actual address).

sekirt
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

18-Sep-2006, 11:45 AM #5
gibberish email
Didn't mean to ignore your reply; I've been gone on vacation. Had received some gibberish while we were gone but my husband deleted them B4 I could remind him not to.
When I receive one, I will copy/paste.
Computer Specs
Member with 78 posts.

22-Sep-2006, 01:30 AM #6
gibberish email
Here's what I'm talking about:
?z{S-*{VI.ɸA. ??..ȹ.4)I...Tɽ?ɱȹ.?ɱȹ.. lȸt?.ȵĹ..?}ĸФݥ M5Q@5%1%9e$д^~.OQ԰?āM.???4)I.. .Tɽ?~乍.Ĺ..ȹ.?~乍.Ĺ..ȹ.Ёl t?ɱȹ.?}ĸФݥ M5Q@5%1I1e%9e$^~.OQ԰?āM.???4)I ...Tɽ".Ĺ..ȹ.?".Ĺ..ȹ.Ёl Ըt4(%?䁵~乍.Ĺ..ȹ.? ȸĸȸĤݥ M5Q@1 T4(%Q԰?āM.???4)I...Tɽ?ĴĴĴع 'ѱ̹..ȹ?!1<.?lĸĸĸt4(??䁵". Ĺ..ȹ.Ёݥ M5Q@?āM.???4)`%ɽAеX聤^иذ^ ?4(???oo͍.o԰ܰ^"^9!P^4)ɽ? ?) .ѥ.^??..ȹ.4)Q??!"^??.4)M?.Q .*"."ѡ́ЁЁ."ȁT"ͽ.'.4)."Q԰?āM.?? ?4)5.."%?O'~.^'.4)5%5Y.ͥ ?ĸ4).еQ"聵ձѥ.н...4(%?չ'.^}9.A.|| | Ը^4)`Aɥɥ??9ɵ.4)`5M5.Aɥɥ9ɵ.4)`5.. 5ɽͽTЁ=ѱ ե?4)%."9ɵ.4)`5.=1Aɽ'Ս. 5ɽͽTЁ5.=1Xظ4)`=0%@?Ը4(4(4(} 9.A.||| Ը4).еQ"聵ձѥ.н..ɹ.ѥ"4(%?չ'.^}9.A .||| Ը^4(4(4(4(}9.A.||| Ը4).еQ".н.4(%..?̵.͍^4).еQ. T.ȵ'o??4(4(4(4)%ѡ."ɽ?.ѥ.̰Ё.́?.".'TT ձЁѼ'ѥե ѡ"4)ѽ...'́Tɽѡ"?.ѽ...'̸?)Ёݡ."."ѡ"'.. "4)5ͱ̰..?ѡ....4(4)Q"Tݥóɽ٥'. Ѽ.ԁ'ѥե ?..." 4(?ѽ...^."==??ѽ...^eԁЁ'ѡ".4).. Tձͼѡ.ЁԁݥЁT"ѡ"ݼ".Ё~4)'.ͥ ձ."ȁT""4(4(????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????4(4(4(????????????????????????????????????9܁ѡ.4(4(???????????? ??????????????????????????????????? ѽ...4(4(??????????????????????????????????????????????????????4 (4(?4(4(???????????????????????????????????????.4(4(????????????????? ?????????????==ѽ...4(4(4(??????????????????????????????4(4(??? ?????????????????????????????Qԁ.*..Ё.а4(4(?4(4( 4(}9.A.||| Ը4).еQ".нѵ4(%..?̵.͍^4).еQ.T .ȵ'oս.ɥ.?"4(4(ѵ4(4(..4(5Q!QQ@EU%X?. еQ"^=9Q9P?.нѵ쁍..̵.͍^4(4(4(."."... ѽȁ.?5ɽͽTЁ]ɐ??T..^4(4("4("4(?Ё.Tѥ?4(TеT."4 (TеT.?OM.́5L^4(."?????????4(?M ".Tѥ?4(5ͽ9ɵ.5ͽ9ɵ.'ع5ͽ9ɵ.4(.ɝ 4(.ɝ?ѽ4(Tеͥ"ȸ4(TеT.?Q. ́9.܁I.^4)"鱥.5ͽ!.ɱ4(퍽?"4(.е'.. չ'.ɱ"4)"٥ͥ..5ͽ!.ɱ*.4(퍽?"4( .е'..ѥչ'.ɱ"4)..M"4(TеT.?OM.́ 5L^4(卽?"4(Tе.鹽ɵ.4(Tе"鹽ɵ.4(. е'..ѥ鹽""4)."M.ѥ4(ͥ"ե?ĸ4(.ɝ ĸ?ĸե?ĸ?ĸե4)'عM.ѥ4(."M.ѥ4(4( "4(4(..4(4(?'䁱.o8UL?"ٱ?"4(4('؁. M.ѥ4(4('؁?=15͝A.|}.~T"~ѐĴ^~~~^ ~^4(4('؁?=15͝A.|}.~T"~ѐĴ^~~~^~^4(4( '؁?=15͝A.|}.~T"~ѐĴ^~~~^~^4(4('؁ ?=15͝A.|}.~T"~ѐĴ^~~~^~^4(4('؁?=15͝ A.|}.~T"~ѐĴ^~~~^~^4(4('؁?=15͝A.|} .~T"~ѐĴ^~~~^~^4(4('؁?=15͝A.|}.~T" ~ѐĴ^~~~^~^4(4('4(4('4(4(.?".5ͽ9ɵ. Q.?"?'...o..''oݥ4) ^"^?"ݥ' "o4(?4(??ѐݥ' ^"^"ݥ' ".''oĸ?ĸ?ĸ?ĸo4(??'4(??.?".5ͽ9 .Q.?"?'...o..''o4)' ^"^???"ݥ' "o4(???4(????ѐݥ' ^"^"ݥ' ".''oĸ?ĸ?ĸ?o4(????'؁".ɝѽԸ .ɝ?ѽԸo4(????.5ͽ9ɵ.^TЁͥ"ԁ ^^T."?OL4).́5L^.????"Tеͥ"T T.?OM.́5L^퍽4)????Tе.?o%ѡ."ɽ ?.ѥ.̰Ё.́?.".4('TTձЁѼ4(???'ѥե ѡ"ѽ...'́Tɽѡ"?.ѽ...'̸T?)Ё 4)."4(???."ѡ"'.."5ͱ̰..T?ѡ.... ?4(?????4(???Q"Tݥóɽ٥'.Ѽ.ԁ'ѥե ?..."T? 4(????Tսѽ...Tս."==?Tսѽ...TսeԁЁ '4(???ѡ".́..Tձͼѡ.ЁԁݥЁT"ѡ"ݼ" .4)~4(???'.ͥЁձ."ȁT".T^ TЁͥ"??4(?^^T."?OM.́5L^. "Tеͥ"4(???TеT.?OM.́5L^퍽o" .T4(????'4(????'؁".ɝѽԸ.ɝ? ѽԸo4(????.5ͽ9ɵ.^TЁͥ"Ё?.T. "?OM.4)5L^.????"Tеͥ"̸TеT.? OM.́5L^퍽?4).Tе.?????oT?T?T?T?T ?T?T?T?~4)?T?T?T?T?T?T?T?T ?T?T?T?T?4(T?T?T?T?T?T?T
Member with 17,584 posts.

22-Sep-2006, 02:59 AM #7
The most likely explanation is this:
From here:
http://help.expedient.com/mailnews/attachments.shtml

Email encoding properties

If you have problems viewing attachments, and it comes up as gibberish in the text of the message rather than as an attachment, it is possible that your mail application's encoding is different from the sender's email application. In order to be able to view an attachment, the encoding between the sending and receiving systems must be identical. Generally speaking, your email software will automatically encode the attachment and the recipient's software will automatically decode the file. However older email applications may not support some of encoding protocols which may include:

MIME Encodings (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions) is an Internet standard for multimedia mail which allows different mail applications to exchange a variety of types of information. Most current PC Email Applications are MIME Encoding Compliant.
No encoding does not encode the attachment at all. This can be risky to use for Internet mail and should be used only if you know that the attachment is a plain text file with no high bit characters.
ASCII text Indicates that the file is plain text with no formatting or high-bit characters.
UUencoding This encoding is widely on the Internet. This encoding is a good choice.
BinHex Used with Macintosh machines but not widely used on other operating systems. Before sending an attachment, check in advance that the recipient is able to deal with BinHex-encoded files.

If you are having problems properly Decoding a file, contact the sender to determine what email program they are using. You should try and determine which encoding scheme is in use and make sure your software supports it.

22-Sep-2006, 04:59 AM #8
I can't be sure why email comes through perfectly OK one time and then the next time it is gibberish. You might try to find out what these 2 friends use for email. Windows or Mac? And whether Word or other Rich Text Format editor or Outlook (not Outlook Express) is involved. You might try to find out what, if anything they did that was different when gibberish appears.

As to OE settings on your machine...check to see if yours match the following....

OE->Tools->Options.
Read Tab->Fonts Button Encoding...should be Western European (Windows). Western European Set As Default

Send Tab
If you have HTML as your mail sending format...where it says encode text using, it should read Quoted Printable. The only other check mark should be in Send Pictures with Messages, if you want that checked.

If you have Plain Text as your mail sending format...where it says MIME, that radio button should be checked. Where it says encode text using, it should say None. There should be nothing else checked there unless you want to indent text when replying.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!