Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

AOL Won't LOad

(!)

Junior Member with 13 posts.

05-Sep-2006, 02:36 PM #1
Unhappy AOL Won't LOad
I have spent the last 2 weeks uninstalling and reinstalling AOL. I have dealt with at least 10 Techs and 2 Tech Supervisors.

I had a small problem and AOL tech told me to uninstall and reinstall AOL. I have done this at least 15 times. After the Disk installation I am told I have to reboot so that Connectivity files can be installled. After the reboot, I get the same message. According to Add or Remove programs I don't have America Online.. When I try to use AOL one click fixes, it can't work because "It is unable to close AOL software". According to Windows Task Manager, no tasks are running.

Can anyone suggest a program for EMails that is better than AOL? I like the AOL EMail interface as I am very used to it. I would hate to start over with another system.
Senior Member with 629 posts.

Experience: Mind-Taker
06-Sep-2006, 12:45 AM #2
There are always webmail services such as Hotmail or Gmail. I recommend Gmail, and I can get you an invite if you need one.

But program-wise, my recommendation would be Mozilla Thunderbird. Relatively small learning curve (if you can use Outlook or AOL Mail, you can use Tb.), VERY supportive user community over at forums.mozillazine.org if you need help (plus, the developers of the Firefox browser and Thunderbird e-mail client pay attention to the forums, so getting expert help is not hard at all), more customizable than AOL Mail or Outlook... it's really very solid and dependable. You can read more about it at www.getthunderbird.com

One of the features of Thunderbird is the ability to "skin" the interface, changing colors, button shapes, and so on. Currently, my Thunderbird client is skinned to be almost indisguishable from Apple Mail, to go with the rest of my desktop's theme (yes, I bought WindowsBlinds ). If you look, there might be an AOL Mail-like skin to reassure you.

Hope this helps.
Junior Member with 13 posts.

06-Sep-2006, 10:40 AM #3
Thanks, I'll look into it.

grfox
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!