Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

I want my old GOOGLE TOOLBAR back

(!)

Member with 6,375 posts.

Experience: Advanced
23-Sep-2006, 12:42 AM #1
Angry I want my old GOOGLE TOOLBAR back
GOOGLE keeps upgrading my toolbar to the "new and improved" ..........but, I liked my old toolbar. I can get it back by doing system restore, but the next day Google changes it again. The reason I liked my old toolbar is for the "history" feature that just opened up with one click. With the new toolbar to get the history you have to click the arrow, then click "view history"
Member with 9,600 posts.

23-Sep-2006, 02:57 PM #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotskates
GOOGLE keeps upgrading my toolbar to the "new and improved" ..........but, I liked my old toolbar. I can get it back by doing system restore, but the next day Google changes it again. The reason I liked my old toolbar is for the "history" feature that just opened up with one click. With the new toolbar to get the history you have to click the arrow, then click "view history"
Hello hotskates . Not to worry , you can easily get your old version toolbar back--and I agree, the new one is inferior in more than one way.
First -- go to add-remove and uninstall the new version {4.0}.
Next go and download version 3.0.131.0 --- thats a good one.
Next and this is important -- go to my computer and click your drive >>> go to program files>>> find and open the Google folder. The version 3.0.131.0 should be there --- delete any other version --and a file or folder named notify or notifier.
The only thing that should be there is version 3.0 --nothing else
If you don't do this --it will continually update to 4.0 .
Pretty simple and works for me .
Here is the link to what I think is the best version of the search bar ---probably the version you had.
Google Toolbar 3.0.131.0 (IE
Google tool bar --the good one.
http://www.filehippo.com/download_google_toolbar/?936

The link will open for the correct version-- Just click "download this version" on the right side of page.
Hope this helps you >f
Member with 9,600 posts.

23-Sep-2006, 03:23 PM #3
I prefer to disable everything in Google "Options" except pop-up blocker . You may want to consider that unless you have a need for one of them.
For the benefit of others --I have had another problem with the new 4.0 version --see below. And don't forget to remove Googles ability to update. >f
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Downloaded the new Google toolbar/popup blocker on one of my machines{XP}, the newest version 4.0, and had some problems.
When in the Security thread , the security tools page , any link listed caused popup blocker to block. In other words , when I clicked on a item , for example " Anti-Spyware at Majorgeeks"- google would block it ---show it as a blocked popup , and page would not display. I had to click on the blocker to allow popups there. Kind of defeats the purpose, not mention being a pain in rear.
It didnt prevent any "real" links --url's from loading or cause any other browser problems.
I then uninstalled it , and reinstalled the version that has worked so well for me--no problem and in fact --is easier to use, and works fine as always.
Member with 6,375 posts.

23-Sep-2006, 05:55 PM #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelista
And don't forget to remove Googles ability to update.

OK, I deleted 4.0 and downloaded and installed 3.0 from filehippo. Now, how do I disable the automatic updates? By the way,Thanks for explaining all of that to me in such detail, Fidelista.......especially for the advice on how to stop the update from happening again and again

Last edited by hotskates; 23-Sep-2006 at 06:19 PM..
Member with 9,600 posts.

23-Sep-2006, 06:29 PM #5
Next and this is important -- go to my computer and click your drive >>> go to program files>>> find and open the Google folder. The version 3.0.131.0 should be there --- delete any other version --and a file or folder named notify or notifier.
>f
Member with 6,375 posts.

23-Sep-2006, 06:39 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelista
>f
OK thanks........I did read that before in your post but it didn't register exactly(because of the notifier portion)......I did that and now hopefully all will be ok THanks again.
Member with 9,600 posts.

23-Sep-2006, 06:51 PM #7
I have done this on three PC's and it works fine. I also suggest disabling everything but the pop-up blocker in options.
I am supprised that more people are not disappointed with the new version ???.
You are right ---its not as user convienent either. 3.0 does in fact allow simpler deleting of history.
Nobody was complaining when I had a problem with it, so I posted the link for the best version in "tips " forum. A little later - google updated me again !.
I then uninstalled --and reinstalled the version I wanted --and went to "programs " ---opened the google folder and deleted everything {one folder inside besides version 3.0} but version 3.0 .
Works fine now. The google folder should have only one item in it --version 3.0.
I really like my google toolbar , and was very unhappy with new version --and auto-update.
>f
Member with 9,600 posts.

23-Sep-2006, 10:53 PM #8
My google toolbar just updated itself --in spite of all efforts.
Maybe someone knows how to prevent this --or I will not use it.
I don't believe they should be changing my system without my permission.
I have no answer to this problem===thought I did
Hope someone does!. >f
Member with 9,600 posts.

23-Sep-2006, 11:00 PM #9
Working with another machine --mine seems to be ok.
I would appreciate any input so I know for fact --that this problem is corrected.
Trying to delete notify and recieving a no access message on this machine
>f
Member with 6,375 posts.

23-Sep-2006, 11:26 PM #10
If that happens to me Fidelista.........I'm going to check out Yahoo and MSN's toolbars. I'm sure they are all similar and maybe they have nice features too that I might even like better than Google
Member with 6,375 posts.

23-Sep-2006, 11:27 PM #11
I wouldn't be surprised if GOOGLE, with all their resources, has figured out how to update no matter what.
Computer Specs
Member with 895 posts.

24-Sep-2006, 06:22 AM #12
Do you, by any chance, have google updater (from google pack) installed? If yes, untick automatic installaltion of updates under preferences. Even then, google toolbar may update automatically. From their help pages:

Why does the Google Toolbar update itself?

The Google Toolbar is designed to automatically update when stability fixes and security updates are available. This auto-update mechanism has always been used by Google to distribute new versions of the Toolbar and is outlined in our Toolbar Privacy Policy:

"The Google Toolbar contacts our servers periodically to obtain automatic updates to the latest version, or as part of the uninstall process."

The Privacy Policy can be found at http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/?quick=privacy
Member with 6,375 posts.

24-Sep-2006, 02:34 PM #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by js73
Do you, by any chance, have google updater (from google pack) installed? If yes, untick automatic installaltion of updates under preferences.
Where would I look to see if I have the google updater?
Computer Specs
Member with 895 posts.

25-Sep-2006, 12:27 AM #14
Normally, in start/all programs.
Member with 269 posts.

18-Oct-2006, 12:59 AM #15
i am sorry that i don't have the link right now, but i will post back here soon with it...
i have spent three days(whole days/all day) reading post after post , and thread after thread in other forums to try to find an anwer for this, but can't find one that works anywhere. many people thought that they had figured out a way to beat the auto-updating feature (like fidelista) only to have it upgrade again. uninstalling and then reinstalling only seems to be a temporary fix. i have read and tried nearly EVERYTHING under the sun and nothing has worked long term. i think at the end of the day, it may be time to think about another toolbar.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!