Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Failed to connect to server

(!)

Member with 439 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Oct-2006, 07:17 AM #1
Failed to connect to server
When I turn on my computer to get my Thunderbird e-mail, a window pops up that says, "Failed to connect to serverincoming.verizon.net."

How do I take care of this?

Thanks.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,224 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 09:10 AM #2
Make sure the computer has internet access when you launch Thunderbird.

Make sure than any firewall software running on the computer allows Thunderbird to access the internet.

Make sure that "serverincoming.verizon.net" is the correct server address entry in Thunderbird.

If you are running Windows XP, here is how you can check if your computer can see the server. Select "Run ..." from the start menu. Enter CMD in the "Open:" box. This will open a DOS screen. At the command prompt, enter the following line:

PING serverincoming.verizon.net

You should get some timing results back if the computer could connect to the server.
Member with 439 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 06:17 PM #3
I checked my Verizon account and it says that my incoming server is: POP - serverincoming.verizon.net

I am running Windows XP.

I clicked on Run etc. as you suggested and got the DOS screen.I typed in the PING line you gave me" PING serverincoming.verizon.net"

When nothing happened I figured out that I had to click on Enter and did so. The message told me that it couldn't find it, "Check the name and try again."

So here I am. Now what?
Computer Specs
Moderator with 66,940 posts.

10-Oct-2006, 07:30 PM #4
Looks like a typing error to me. Try incoming.verizon.net or call your Verizon tech support and ask what it should be.
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs

10-Oct-2006, 09:01 PM #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by imawriter
I checked my Verizon account and it says that my incoming server is: POP - serverincoming.verizon.net
I concur 100% with TerryNet on this one. I found this on the Verizon.net help pages for setting up an e-mail client:

----
# Fill in the server information:

* In the Incoming mail (POP3) field, type incoming.verizon.net
* In the Outgoing mail (SMTP) field, type outgoing.verizon.net
----

Ping worked much better with incoming.verizon.net :

Pinging incoming.verizon.net [206.46.232.10] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 206.46.232.10: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=236
Reply from 206.46.232.10: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=236
Reply from 206.46.232.10: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=236
Reply from 206.46.232.10: bytes=32 time=46ms TTL=236

Ping statistics for 206.46.232.10:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 45ms, Maximum = 47ms, Average = 46ms
Member with 439 posts.

11-Oct-2006, 07:34 AM #6
Am really trying to understand this one, but not having any luck since sometimes I do not get the failed to connect message.

Here is the information I copied and am pasting direct from my Verizon account:

Mail server settings

* Incoming mail server (POP3): incoming.verizon.net
* Outgoing mail server (SMTP): outgoing.verizon.net
* Your Verizon Online user name
* Your Verizon Online password

I also tried Run and the DOS site and typed "incoming.verizon.net" without the quotation marks but nothing happened, so I hit Enter and still nothing happened. I don't understand what is supposed to happen here and how to make it happen .
Computer Specs

11-Oct-2006, 08:30 AM #7
Start - Run - cmd - OK

In the Command (DOS) window type
ping incoming.verizon.net

After typing the 't' you then press the 'Enter' key.

"Ping" is a basic communication test. Either a signal gets to the other device and returns or it doesn't. Sometimes it's also useful for checking/comparing round trip times. See Chuck's post for a successful ping round trip.
Terry

EDIT: Actually the default for 'ping' is to attempt 4 round trips, as shown in Chuck's post.
Computer Specs

11-Oct-2006, 01:04 PM #8
Post #6:
Quote:
Here is the information I copied and am pasting direct from my Verizon account:

Mail server settings

* Incoming mail server (POP3): incoming.verizon.net
* Outgoing mail server (SMTP): outgoing.verizon.net
Post #3:
Quote:
incoming.verizon.net and serverincoming.verizon.net are not the same address and are not interchangeable. As far as I can tell, incoming.verizon.net is the address you should be using for the incoming mail server.
Member with 439 posts.

11-Oct-2006, 04:23 PM #9
TerryNet - I followed your directions from Start/Run/etc. to Enter and got four round trips. (Ping) That's the good news. However, what does this mean? And will this help me get rid of the often interrupting window that says that I failed to connect to incoming.verizon.net?

Your very specific directions were most appreciated. If you can do the same for me to get rid of the abovementioned window, I would be pleased.

Thanks.
Computer Specs

11-Oct-2006, 05:57 PM #10
"However, what does this mean?"

All it (successful ping) really means is that something with the name "incoming.verizon.net" exists and you can communicate with it. But that's a heck of a lot better than where we were in post #3! And with the other information that Chuck and then you posted, that's very encouraging since it seems that you've both found the correct mail server name.

Are your mail server settings now correct (* Incoming mail server (POP3): incoming.verizon.net
* Outgoing mail server (SMTP): outgoing.verizon.net)?

Are you still getting the "fail to connect"? Always? Or how often?
Member with 439 posts.

11-Oct-2006, 08:25 PM #11
TerryNet,

I like your sense of humor...and the smiley face helps too, in this painstaking situation.

My mail server settings appear to be correct now. So far, in the last few hours I have not gotten the "failure" notice. I will check it again tomoprrow and let you know.

Thanks for your patience.
Member with 439 posts.

15-Oct-2006, 11:37 AM #12
Here's what I have disxcovered in the last couple of days. Normally I go to my Thunderbird e-mail first thing when I turn on my computer. Then I usually get the "failed to connect to server incoming.verizon.net" window.

However, if I go somewhere else first, e.g. Mozilla Firefox, and then go back for my mail, it's OK and remains OK as long as the computer is turned on, although occasionally I have the same problem with Firefox not opening.

Does this help to define the problem and possible solution?

Thanks.
Computer Specs

15-Oct-2006, 03:47 PM #13
It is possible to try to access the internet before the computer has fully established a connection to the internet.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!