Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

how to set browser to maximize automatically

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 162 posts.

Experience: Beginner-intermediate?
29-Oct-2006, 07:30 PM #1
how to set browser to maximize automatically
Is there a setting somewhere that will cause my internet explorer browser to open in the maximized state by default, even when I click on a shortcut to a web page? I thought it used to do that automatically, but lately it keeps opening in a non-maximized state and I have to manually maximize it. And before anyone suggests that I drag the edges of the window to full size, I've done that already, but that just opens the window to the largest possible non-maximized state. I still have to manually maximize the window using the box at the top right of the screen, next to the "X" box that closes the window. How do I just set it so the browser maximizes by default???
Computer Specs
Member with 5,037 posts.

Experience: I get by
29-Oct-2006, 07:58 PM #2
Usually all it will take is making sure the last browser window you close is maximized when you close it. I think they (IE and FF anyway) have a "memory" and will open to the last state you used it in.
Computer Specs
Member with 162 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 12:25 AM #3
darkmist, I wish it were that easy....
lilLB lilLB is offline lilLB has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 307 posts.

Experience: Enough to get by
30-Oct-2006, 12:58 AM #4
i've always had trouble with figuring this out... but i think maybe you can look at the properties of the shortcut u use to open the browser
there should be a setting dealing with that
Computer Specs
Member with 162 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 01:09 AM #5
yeah lilLB, I believe I saw it there before too. In fact, that was the first place I looked, but if it used to be there, it sure ain't no more!! May have been a previous edition of something, but damned if I can find it. I don't know why such a simple thing has to be so damn hard.
Computer Specs
Member with 144,401 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Oct-2006, 01:12 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny1
Is there a setting somewhere that will cause my internet explorer browser to open in the maximized state by default, even when I click on a shortcut to a web page? I thought it used to do that automatically, but lately it keeps opening in a non-maximized state and I have to manually maximize it. And before anyone suggests that I drag the edges of the window to full size, I've done that already, but that just opens the window to the largest possible non-maximized state. I still have to manually maximize the window using the box at the top right of the screen, next to the "X" box that closes the window. How do I just set it so the browser maximizes by default???
well, I am told that when you set the size yourself, you then go to the file menu and close it immediately, then it's supposed to remember the size.
lilLB lilLB is offline lilLB has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 307 posts.

Experience: Enough to get by
30-Oct-2006, 01:13 AM #7
yea well i checked on mine and i see it on the shortcut to firefox so i dont know why it isn't there on ur side..
it says "Run: " and has the choices "Normal Window", "Minimized","Maximized"
Member with 377 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 07:12 AM #8
This is one of those frustrating things that is easily solvable, just as it is easily forgettable!

Firstly, start with no IE windows open, then open one.
Maximise this window.
Close the window.

New windows should open now in the state that you have set.
The problem i have had in the past is when i've had existing windows open.
Hope this helps.
Computer Specs
Member with 5,037 posts.

Experience: I get by
30-Oct-2006, 01:52 PM #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwendal
This is one of those frustrating things that is easily solvable, just as it is easily forgettable!

Firstly, start with no IE windows open, then open one.
Maximise this window.
Close the window.

New windows should open now in the state that you have set.
The problem i have had in the past is when i've had existing windows open.
Hope this helps.
hmmmm ... different wording but same advice, mrwendal is right. Make sure the last window you close is maximized and the next time you open a new instance of IE it will open maximized ... it is that simple. I'm sure there is probably a registry tweak that you can do to force it to always open maximized but I know it not.
Computer Specs
Member with 162 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 02:05 PM #10
yeah guys, thanx for the feedback. Unfortunately, for reasons that are a mystery, the simple solution you describe just isn't working for me. My browser just isn't remembering the last state it was opened in. I can maximize it, close it and open it right back up and it will be in a non-maximized state again.
Member with 6,052 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 03:00 PM #11
I know this is similar as suggested, but try this and see if IE will remember the window size.
Maximize Internet Explorer On Opening
Computer Specs
Member with 162 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 05:19 PM #12
Hmmm, thanks Augie, I seem to be making some progress. My internet explorer is now remembering to open in the state it was in when closed. But when I use desktop icons to open directly to websites, I still can't get the browser to open maximized. I used the method in your link for these links too, but couldn't get it to work. I'm just about to give up on this....K
Member with 6,052 posts.

30-Oct-2006, 05:38 PM #13
If you are using shortcut icons on the desktop, right click on the icon and select Properties.
Select the Shortcut tab and in the Run: box: select Maximized from the dropdown, then Apply and OK.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!