Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Trying to view deleted browser history

(!)

Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
13-Nov-2006, 02:13 PM #1
Trying to view deleted browser history
I need to get as complete a history of every website my office computer has been used to view. I believe that one or more of my employees is violating office internet policy by viewing explicit material. There are two reasons why I cannot currently see this history:

1. The offending employee has deleted the history, cookies, and temporary internet files.
2. The offending employee figured out how to change "Internet Options" settings to retain history for only one day.

Here is what I have tried:
1. Contacting my ISP and requesting a full history. Apparently that puts such a strain on their server that they would have to shut down access to many, many customers (in other words, not gonna happen).
2. downloading a "index.dat viewer," which has helped me to see the one day of history, giving evidence of abuse of the office computer.

Is there a way I can view more, if not all, history of this computer, short of doing a system restore to an earlier date, or spending $$$ on a computer forensics expert?
Thank you!
Member with 5,633 posts.

13-Nov-2006, 05:13 PM #2
Some detail is supposed to be retained in the Registry in things called 'User Assist Files', however, lots of cleaner programs will delete or clean these (and the index.dat) files.

See here for info about User Assist Files; http://www.utdallas.edu/~jeremy.bryan.smith/ (click on 'Articles' then on 'Explorer Spy') There is also a small program available called User Assist Spy that is supposed to show the contents of those files, if they are, in fact, present.

In your situation you might be better looking into keylogging type programs that will record the use made of the computer in question, although I don't know how such programs can 'prove' who the user was at any given period in time.

I understand that these programs could be illegal in some jurisdictions and the material they produce may not be admissable in evidence for legal purposes.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!