Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

(!)

Member with 1,086 posts.

28-Nov-2006, 11:28 AM #1
Unhappy Solved: There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
I keep getting the message: "There is a problem with this website's security certificate." when I try to access certain website which I know are good, e.g., a US Govt. site for job hunting. I believe this has something to do with IE 7's "Phising Filter." I have tried dropping the "s" from web addresses, i.e., changing "https://" to "http://" with no success. This has been very frustrating. I have called in ISP with no success and Microsoft's telephone help costs. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, were you able to solve it? Thanks in advance.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 358 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Nov-2006, 11:53 AM #2
Is your system clock showing the correct date and time? If not, the certificates may show up as expired.
Member with 1,086 posts.

28-Nov-2006, 12:15 PM #3
Papermoon, the date and time are correct. I don't think that this was happening with I had IO V.6 installed. I have tried messing around with the Phising Filter with no success. I now that the sites that I try to gain access to are legitimate. I just need to know how to access them.
Member with 5,645 posts.

28-Nov-2006, 01:54 PM #4
You could always try Opera or Firefox, assuming IE7 will allow itself not to be classified as your default browser!
Member with 1,086 posts.

28-Nov-2006, 02:03 PM #5
TOGG, in your opinion, which is better, Opera or Firefox? I have read where Firefox does not present the virus, Phishing and other malware potential that IE has.
Member with 5,645 posts.

28-Nov-2006, 02:20 PM #6
When I gave up on IE, the first alternative I tried was Opera and I liked it so much that I paid to remove the advert (it's free now!). Opera is currently at version 9.02 and there are no known exploits at the moment. It comes fully featured and works 'out of the box' or can be customised; http://operawiki.info/Opera/

I do have Firefox as well as a backup but don't use it very much. Firefox 2.0 currently has a low risk exploit that affects its password storage function. It will be fixed soon but the workaround is to disable that feature until the new version comes out. If you do try it, be sure to get the NoScript addon because that makes surfing safer if you limit the ability of sites to do scripting.

I think it must be nearly two years since the Dept. of Homeland Security advised people to stop using IE and, despite the 'improvements' claimed for IE7, I suspect that it's still pretty good advice.
Member with 1,086 posts.

09-Dec-2006, 03:03 PM #7
TOGG, thanks very much for the reply. I would have responded sooner but I didn't receive a notice in my Email indicating that you responded and only saw it now because I came back to TSG.com re: another issue. I have downloaded Opera and it looks good (although anything new will take some getting used to because I have been using IE for many years now.) I tried going to the USAjobs.com site and ran into one warning about the Certificate but clicked on "accept" and everything went along fine. One question though, apparently Opera has no know flaws re: malware (as of yet, anyway.) Does Opera have any "built-in" virus, worm, etc. protectors to detect any malware that may be trying to use is as a portal into computers? Thanks again for the suggestion.
Member with 5,645 posts.

09-Dec-2006, 07:02 PM #8
I don't know anything about the 'protection' built into Opera but you might get more information from the 'Community' or 'Support' options available under 'Help'.

I have always assumed that, regardless of any superiopr features in Opera's coding, it benefits from the fact that there is not a lot of point in writing exploits to specifically attack Opera, which is used by a minority, when there are all those IE equipped boxes just begging to be hit.

Obviously, using Opera will not immunise anybody from the holes that are continually being found in the various versions of Windows but, if the program that sits between you and the web is tough enough, it must help your chances of staying safe.

As for site certificates, I have read somewhere that, because the certification process is relatively expensive, it is not surprising that some sites allow theirs to expire. However, I am surprised that a site maintained by, or for, the US Government should have an expired certificate. Managerial incompetence perhaps?

If you want to have another go at getting IE7 to work properly, there is a relatively new site with a lot of useful info; http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html
Member with 5,645 posts.

09-Dec-2006, 07:10 PM #9
On second thoughts, I've just noticed how many threads here at TSG feature IE7 problems. If I were you I would let the dust settle for another month or two and let the other beta testers do the work for you!

Same goes for Vista, if I was thinking of upgrading (which I'm not) I would be waiting for the first Service Pack or one year from now, whichever is earlier.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

23-Jul-2007, 01:37 AM #10
Check your date and time!
I ran into this problem... and also scratched my head for a while.

Security certificates are issued for given time periods. If IE determines that the current time (from your client computer) does not fall into the server certificate time range, it will give this error. In my case, I had accidentaly changed my local computer clock to the wrong year. Correcting this resolved the problem.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

28-Jul-2007, 02:56 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papermoon
Is your system clock showing the correct date and time? If not, the certificates may show up as expired.
Thank you soooooooooooooooooooo much, I almost reformatted my computer and I would have lost everything on here, and it was the friggin clock.........thank you thank you. That certificate error was driving me nuts. I went into security settings, I downloaded some Dod certificate thing, I almost felt like throwing it out my window Not really, but thank you very much

Experience: Advanced
02-Aug-2007, 09:56 AM #12
"I downloaded some Dod certificate thing"

Kathleen3 - what steps did you take to down the DOD certificate? I'm running into the same problem on a DOD site with IE7 and can't fix. I already checked the clock issue and that's not the problem. Thanks...
Computer Specs

02-Aug-2007, 12:33 PM #13
Exclamation Dod Root Certificates
http://www.acq.osd.mil/atl_dod_rc.htm

Try this place, its not what I found, and I have been searching and searching for the website I was at....anyway I am going to keep looking here............I wonder if I can copy the certificates from my computer and email them to you?
I will be back.......
Kathleen3
Computer Specs

02-Aug-2007, 01:01 PM #14
hi
I know you have to go to where your certificates are.....click on Tools, then click on Internet options.....Then click on Content, then click on Certificates. It should be in the middle there somewhere..............then go to the tab that says...Untrusted Publishers. Delete stuff out of that folder. Press OK.....................
Now......this is the website that I went to and followed the instructions..... its a pdf file...

https://www.jatdi.mil/support/dodcer...ertificate.pdf

I hope it works for you, but that wasn't my problem is was the clock.......anyway Good Luck, let me know how it turns out for you.
ksomers3@nb.sympatico.ca
www.funwithurpictures.com

08-Aug-2007, 01:26 PM #15
Security message on Public site
I have a client getting the message on a site that has no security certificate:
http://www.argandenergy.com/

Is this part of the same problem?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!