Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: firefox proxy problems!!

(!)

Senior Member with 142 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
02-Feb-2007, 09:33 PM #1
Solved: firefox proxy problems!!
hi i recently been having trouble with firefox,the problem is when i click on the mozilla shortcut it seems like its loading but then say connection reset?.the only way i can then get firefox to work is to go into tools>options>network>connection settings>then i click on auto detect proxy settings for this network and it then loads!.it seems to be fine until i shut firefox down only to then restart it and the same problem occurs?when i go back to the settings its for some reason switched back to manual proxy again!....ive had firefox for a while now with no probs but i think the only thing that could have messed with it that i installed the other day was peerguardian (which ive since uninstalled)....any ideas?cheers
Member with 6,052 posts.

02-Feb-2007, 10:56 PM #2
Type about:config in the address bar of Firefox hit Enter and see if this setting is correct.
network.proxy.type and should have value of 2.
Also run Firefox in safe mode.
Start> Mozilla Firefox> Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode). If it works ok, then it is an extension or theme effecting it.

03-Feb-2007, 10:02 AM #3
hi again,ive completed your instruction,i changed the proxy type config to 2(it was set on 4!) i then shut firefox down and started it agin but once again it was under a manual proxy config so connection was reset so i then shut down went into safe mode tried opening firefox and it was fine,although when i looked at the connection config it was set on direct connection so im not sure why it keeps setting itself as default manual proxy when in normal mode???
Member with 6,052 posts.

03-Feb-2007, 11:30 AM #4
Open Firefox and click on Tools> Add-ons and disable all your add-ons.
Then reset your setting in Tools> Options> Advanced tab> Network tab, Settings button and set to Auto-detect proxy settings for this network then OK your way out. Close Firefox and reopen. If it still doesn't keep your setting, then create a new profile and see if it will work then. Your profile may have become corrupt.

03-Feb-2007, 06:57 PM #5
ok augie dont all that and everythings fine now,as you said it must have been a corrupted profile but just on other thing,ive been trying to copy over my bookmarks as i had alot in my old profile but copying the bookmark folder in the firefox applications folder doesnt seem to work,what do i need to copy to carry them over?cheers
Member with 6,052 posts.

03-Feb-2007, 07:36 PM #6
If you have a copy of your bookmarks saved, just place a copy somewhere easy to find(like your desktop). Open Firefox and click on Bookmarks> Organize Bookmarks> click on File> Import> and the wizard will open and it should have From File ticked. If not tick it and select Next and browse to the desktop or where you have the file saved and it should import the bookmarks file.

03-Feb-2007, 07:56 PM #7
yeah finally done it,a bit of fiddling around but its done .....cheers for your help augie you've been brill! thanks a bunch
Member with 6,052 posts.

03-Feb-2007, 07:57 PM #8
You are very welcome.
You can mark this solved from the thread tools at the top of your post.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!