Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can someone tell if I have Googled them?

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
10-Feb-2007, 05:25 AM #1
Can someone tell if I have Googled them?
I Googled a forum username of someone that I know, and a short while afterwards they posted in that forum about someone Googling them. This person is just a poster in that forum, she doesn't host the forum or moderate it, so I am not sure how she could have known that I arrived in the forum from a Google search. Is there a way that someone can tell that they have been Googled that I don't know about?
Computer Specs
Member with 55,946 posts.

10-Feb-2007, 05:29 AM #2
I never heard of that before.
Computer Specs
Member with 32,634 posts.

10-Feb-2007, 05:36 AM #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by racha3l
I Googled a forum username of someone that I know, and a short while afterwards they posted in that forum about someone Googling them. This person is just a poster in that forum, she doesn't host the forum or moderate it, so I am not sure how she could have known that I arrived in the forum from a Google search. Is there a way that someone can tell that they have been Googled that I don't know about?
I hope you are not stalking them ....
Computer Specs

10-Feb-2007, 05:40 AM #4
Well, it freaked me out. This is a person that I care about, but she is very depressed and won't talk to anyone. I thought I could get some insight into how bad off she is by finding out if she's been posting to any online forums. I was mortified to see her post about hiding her identity online from snoopers, and thought the coincidence is just too much. She must have a way of knowing that I Googled her username somehow.

No, I am not stalking. Just worried about her.
Computer Specs
Member with 55,946 posts.

10-Feb-2007, 06:02 AM #5
All I can think of is a tracking cookie or site states that could know you came to the site from google but still never heard of it knowing what you did at google.
Computer Specs
Member with 32,634 posts.

10-Feb-2007, 06:03 AM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by racha3l
Well, it freaked me out. This is a person that I care about, but she is very depressed and won't talk to anyone. I thought I could get some insight into how bad off she is by finding out if she's been posting to any online forums. I was mortified to see her post about hiding her identity online from snoopers, and thought the coincidence is just too much. She must have a way of knowing that I Googled her username somehow.

No, I am not stalking. Just worried about her.
Sorry i didnt mean to cause any offence i have been on the end of that myself and it is not very nice ..

Give her some time and space she sounds like she needs it ..

When she is ready she wil contact you hopefully
Computer Specs

10-Feb-2007, 06:09 AM #7
Hopefully I can chalk this up to an eerie coincidence, and consider myself as having dodged a very embarrassing bullet. That will teach me not to sneak around where I am not supposed to be.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

10-Jun-2008, 03:58 PM #8
Question Me, too!
I've googled this question, because I'm wondering the same thing.

I dated and lived with a guy for 6 months. He seemed great, then his ex-wife got into my email account. I can't prove it, but I received a notification to my phone saying, "Your password has just been changed." She had done the same thing to him previously, so I THINK it was her.

She was way too involved in our happenings, and as it turned out he was playing both sides. He had given me his email password and I logged in to see if she'd done the same to his account. Instead, she had sent him an email that raked me over the coals (she even lived in another state!) One thing in that email she said was, "She googled your name and your email account name."

Which was TRUE! How did she know that? I HAD googled him and his account name when I started to think he was playing me.

He ended up moving away to be with her and that was over a year ago. He's gone, and I'm engaged, happy - all the good stuff. But it has bugged me all this time: How did she know???
Member with 5,142 posts.

10-Jun-2008, 04:17 PM #9

I google people all the time

I think it was just an eerie coincidence.

Why don't you Google yourself and see if it comes back to you?
Junior Member with 2 posts.

10-Jun-2008, 04:22 PM #10
I did...I do a lot, just to see what's out there.

But, it was too weird. One friend suggested she tapped into my computer and was able to see my cookies/cache or something. I downloaded spyware stuff, and never had a problem after that.

I google most people I meet, really. It's a great resource.

I hope it was a coincidence.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,956 posts.

10-Jun-2008, 06:47 PM #11
No one can tell if you Googled them.
How would even Google know if it was you?
Unless there was some sort of specific circumstances, like you registered
with your real name, etc.

Can they tell if they have been Googled by someone?
Only if their name is something like Paris Hilton. Some common name
would never show up enough to be found anywhere. Google does track
trends but the numbers have to be way up there.

Only way I can think it might be possible is if you have a key logger on
your computer - that records all keystrokes and would show all activity.
The person you Googled would have to have put the key logger on your
computer, so they could have access to the information.
Computer Specs
Member with 2,183 posts.

Experience: Advanced
10-Jun-2008, 07:10 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderingToo View Post
But it has bugged me all this time: How did she know???
She could have gotten into your computer and looked at your browsing history or cache. It would have shown that you Googled him assuming you didn't clear your history, cache, or cookies.

@ racha3l: It's most likely just a coincidence.

It could be a keylogger, it could be a tracking cookie. But the most likely thing is simply the referrer. If this person has access to the websites stats, they could see that someone clicked on a link from Google and came directly to the forum or her profile. It's called the referrer, and it's sent with every browser request and is recorded by almost every webserver. That's about it. There is no way to tell who Googled somebody unless spyware is involved. You could feasibly tell if somebody Googled the person, though.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 7,141 posts.

20-Jun-2008, 12:57 PM #13
Thanks for the info, Kay24!

Peace...
Computer Specs

20-Jun-2008, 01:29 PM #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay24 View Post
actually, you're all wrong- sorry to say. people can now tell if you have googled them- down to your address! it's a boston-based website that is very new- it's called ziggs.com, and it helps for people to control their web persona. if you create a profile with them, they ensure you that your ziggs profile will be at the top of everyone's google search for your name- that way you decide what they get to see- your resume, information you disclose- as opposed to the other BS there might be floating around on the web about you haha. so word to the wise- stop googling people- or people will know!
Kay24...tell me this: After reading your post, did I Google your screen name? Second, can you see that it was ME that Googled or not Googled your screen name?

(I'll give you the truth after reading your answers).

We are not wrong. If you willingly share personal information and provide that - under that isolated condition it is possible. Of course I am basing what I say upon the information the original poster provided. If details such as being registered at ziggs was left out, then my answer would change accordingly.
Computer Specs

20-Jun-2008, 01:57 PM #15
Kay24...

Let's not call people names. YOU apparently did not read what I wrote. I went to the website. I responded here.

YOU haven't answered the questions. Did I or did I not Google you?
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!