Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

How do you offload AOL files?

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 1,369 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Oct-2001, 09:11 PM #1
Smile How do you offload AOL files?
A friend of mine has AOL, which I've never used; never even barely seen it...he called and says he has close to 4000 messages in his box and it's slowing his system down (he has an old 486 with probably 16mb RAM, so if HE says it's slow, I believe him.) Anyway, he wants to know if he can offload the messages onto a floppy and erase them from the drive (he has no cd burner or zip drive), and I would like it if someone could tell me if there's just a simple folder or something like an .mbx folder on windows that stores messages on AOL, that can be accessed, dragged and dropped, etc. I don't know diddly about AOL, and he doesn't know diddly about computers, and he lives hours away, so if I could help him on the phone, it'd be great.

Thanks!
BJ
Senior Member with 3,208 posts.

03-Oct-2001, 09:32 PM #2
Wait a minute. I have to ask. He has close to 4000 emails and he doesnt want to get rid of any?
Computer Specs
Member with 1,369 posts.

04-Oct-2001, 12:21 AM #3
I'm sure he'd like to dump tons of them, but he wheels and deals a lot on ebay and other places and he wants to selectively save what will still amount to a lot of messages. I'd just like to know if I can help him backup the messages....

I will admit that if someone has 4000 critical messages I'm jealous....that's quite a life...

04-Oct-2001, 04:44 AM #4
I am assuming that he saved them by clicking the "save all mail that I read to my PFC", if so, then try this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COMPACT YOUR PERSONAL FILE CABINET

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Compact your Personal Filing Cabinet (PFC) to reduce chances it will get too big and end up deleting all your Favorite Places, and Flash Mail....

Click My Files or Preferences (I forget which)

PERSONAL FILING CABINET <---Click

COMPACT PFC <---Click

That's it, ten seconds later your PFC is compacted.

Now do the same for each and every one of your screen names, because each has it's own PFC.

To Backup Your Personal Filing Cabinet

Windows 95 and 98
1. Click START
2. Click PROGRAMS
3. Click WINDOWS EXPLORER
4. Click C DRIVE (one time) to highlight it (left side of screen)
5. Click FILE (top left) on the menu bar
6. Click NEW FOLDER
7. In the box next to the new folder, type in AOLbackup (creates C:\AOLBACKUP)
8. Click ENTER
9. Double click on your most recent AOL directory (America Online 4.0)
(This opens the directory up so you can see the folders that are inside it)
6. Double Click your Organize folder and double click on it to open it.
7. Click once on the first item to highlight it. (any folder or item)
8. Click EDIT (top left) on the tool bar (a menu appears)
9. Click on your menu bar and choose SELECT ALL.
(This highlights all of the folders inside of your organize directory)
9. Bring your mouse over to any of the highlighted items and HOLDING the RIGHT mouse button down, drag the items to the AOLbackup folder you just made.
10. When you let go of the mouse button, it will ask you want to do, choose Copy Here.

If you ever lose the contents of the Personal Filing Cabinet, then you will simply reverse the process above. You will drag a copy or your organize file from C:\AOLBACKUP to your C:\America Online 4.0\Organize directory.

And just in case...

IF YOU LOSE YOUR PERSONAL FILING CABINET OR FAVORITE PLACES

Try to Restore your Personal Filing Cabinet and Flash Mail from your Recycle Bin by:

RECYCLE BIN <---Click the Recycle Bin Icon (Generally on your Main Screen)

LOOK IN THE RECYCLE BIN AND FIND YOUR SCREEN NAME (Followed by the word organize)

FILE <---Click

RESTORE <---Restore

Verify that in AOL that your favorite places are back

And if that gives him fits.

AOL tech support at 1(888)265-8006
Member with 2,984 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Oct-2001, 11:02 PM #5
Maybe he should wheel and deal a faster computer with a hugh hardrive w/burner off of that E-Bay site. Then he would have the "tools" he needs to do business on the net. AOL slows down any computer let alone a 486.

I'm sorry....I just can't fathom 4000 e-mails
Computer Specs
Member with 1,369 posts.

04-Oct-2001, 11:19 PM #6
Whether it's 4000 emails or 400, I just want to know if there is a readily accesible folder where the messages are stored, so I can help him deal with them. I don't know anything about AOL, so I'm just asking. I realize his system is a turkey; that's not what I'm asking about...

05-Oct-2001, 03:35 PM #7
Emtronics is just being amusing, not personal. My earlier post should do the trick and allow you to put them where you wish or store them to floppies.
Member with 2,984 posts.

05-Oct-2001, 10:57 PM #8
Thanks DoyceJ, that is what I was trying to convey. Your post to the problem covered it perfectly. I was just adding my two cents worth. Sorry if I offended.

06-Oct-2001, 07:14 AM #9
Emtronics-Dont give it another thought.

bj nick-Please let me know if works. I dont run AOL but I try to learn about it to help others. All input is appreciated.
Computer Specs
Member with 1,369 posts.

14-Oct-2001, 01:59 PM #10
I haven't yet had a chance to try these suggestions, but I will soon and post back.

Sorry, Emtronics, if my reply was brusque. I've been after the guy for two years to upgrade but he always finds a reason not to. He's almost ready to leave the stone age and find out what it's like to have a real computer. Having had umpteen problems solved via the tgsf, I appreciate all attempts to help each other out.

14-Oct-2001, 03:36 PM #11
If he is as slow with the fix as he is with the upgrade. Would be offended if I opted out of holding my breath?
Member with 2,984 posts.

16-Oct-2001, 08:26 PM #12
No problem bj nick. It's sometimes hard on a "board" to express one's self as others should take it. (made sense??) At any rate, I also have a friend in the 'stone age' with his computer and I have to think way back to when I was sailing along on the old Prodigy Interent at 2400 baud. I used AOL version 2.0 on a 486/33mhz. Blinding speed back then. Computers are like dogs, they both age the same...1 year = 7 years. Once you start getting used to the dog, it's hard to get rid of it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!