Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Cant watch videos on Firefox

(!)

Junior Member with 9 posts.

12-Mar-2007, 05:53 PM #1
Cant watch videos on Firefox
Hi there,

I cant watch any videos from nhl.com or nba.com or nfl.com or tsn.ca on Firefox for some reason. Any ideas? I cant watch youtube though!
Member with 6,052 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Mar-2007, 07:13 PM #2
Do you have WMP plugin for Firefox? Type about:plugins in the address bar of Firefox and hit Enter. Check and see if you have these entries for WMP. You can also test the WMP plugin on that site. Youtube uses Flash Player and not WMP. Check these requirements from NBA.com.

12-Mar-2007, 10:34 PM #3
I did everything they said and it still didnt work but in that site they kept talking about wmp 9 or 10...not 11...could that be why?
Member with 6,052 posts.

12-Mar-2007, 11:03 PM #4
I have Firefox 2.0.0.2 and WMP 10 and the videos play for me on the NBA site. Did you check the plugins settings from about:plugins? Match the files listed here to see if any are missing. Then test the WMP on the links under Testing WMP plugin.
I can't help if you have WMP 11 because I don't use it.

13-Mar-2007, 08:29 PM #5
Hey...so I got 10 and it still doesnt work....it also doesnt work on IE7
Member with 6,052 posts.

13-Mar-2007, 08:40 PM #6
Did you try the WMP test site with Firefox? It the test fails, then the plugin isn't working.

13-Mar-2007, 10:10 PM #7
No..the funny thing is that the test video works...but no other video does!
Member with 6,052 posts.

13-Mar-2007, 10:40 PM #8
If the test passed, then the plugin is working. Try clearing all private data in Firefox including cookies and cache. Start Firefox in safe mode.
Start> Mozilla Firefox> Mozilla Firefox (Safe Mode).
This will tell if an extension or theme is effecting the player. If the Adblock extension is installed, the OBJ-TABS setting may hide the WMP plug-in. You will have to disable Obj-Tabs in your Adblock options.
See if any of this helps.

13-Mar-2007, 10:56 PM #9
Did everything and even tried in safe mode...but didnt work! This is a pain for both you and me because I keep asking you every time but it just isnt working
Member with 6,052 posts.

13-Mar-2007, 11:38 PM #10
No problem, just can't make out why your player won't work. Open WMP and click on
Tools> Options> Network tab and make sure that the 4 boxes on the left under Streaming protocols
are checked. On File Types tab, that all boxes are checked. If you make any changes, Apply and OK.
Found this test site from Microsoft Support. Try the different formats and see if any or all work.

Last edited by Augie65; 13-Mar-2007 at 11:43 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 17,421 posts.

13-Mar-2007, 11:52 PM #11
Im wondering do you have flashplayer installed on both web explorers. don't know if that was already covered

13-Mar-2007, 11:55 PM #12
Did everything you said and still no.....I downloaded their first sample file and opened it with wmp and it couldnt open...opened it with winamp and it worked...all the other samples work on quicktime or winamp and not on my wmp..so i cant really tell...also the .asf solution does not work on my wmp (as I said before) and there is no solution to it
Member with 6,052 posts.

14-Mar-2007, 09:43 AM #13
It seems the player doesn't work for the formats. Check this last setting.
On the Tools menu, click Options> Network tab>In the Proxy Settings section highlight HTTP and click Configure.
Make sure the proxy setting for HTTP protocols is Use proxy settings of the Web browser.
Then go to www.cnn.com and click on a video. If a message pops up about a plugin, just click on continue with video and see if the video will play.

Last edited by Augie65; 14-Mar-2007 at 11:04 AM..

14-Mar-2007, 06:40 PM #14
The settings on wmp were already there and when i clicked on a video on cnn.com nothing happens....the video doesnt even play...when i click play nothing happens!
Member with 6,052 posts.

14-Mar-2007, 07:06 PM #15
I am lost, the only option I would suggest is to reinstall WMP. You can wait and see if someone has a better idea. Maybe this will help. Installing the Player
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!