Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Hotmail won't save my password anymore...

(!)

Senior Member with 2,208 posts.

Experience: Advanced
20-May-2007, 10:46 PM #1
Hotmail won't save my password anymore...
Does anyone have any idea why Hotmail would stop saving a password? It will remember my email address, but I have to enter my password every time I go back to it in a different browser session. It does this in all browsers on all computers, even if I remove the cookies. It's been doing this for a number of months now.

I really just need to ditch this Hotmail account and use a second Gmail account as a spam catcher... of course I guess I'd have to log in all the time anyway since I'd have two accounts
Computer Specs
Member with 32,634 posts.

21-May-2007, 05:21 AM #2
The cookie is time based so it expires after a period of time. Visit hotmail
every day to retain the cookie. Just type in or bookmark http://hotmail.com so
you will visit the main page first.
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

21-May-2007, 08:02 AM #3
The password isn't saved by some function of Hotmail. It's a function of the settings on the computer. If you're accessing Hotmail from a public computer (Internet cafe, library, etc.), it's probably designed to delete temporary files and cookies on a regular interval, as you'd want it to. As for not working on your personal computer, are you running CCleaner or any other cleaners or privacy protection-type applications? These are almost always the cause of this type of behavior.
Senior Member with 2,208 posts.

21-May-2007, 08:07 AM #4
Nah, no cleaners or anything, and this isn't on a public computer.

Blackmirror, are you saying the cookie it expires after a day? If so, that is 1) utterly retarded, and 2) exactly my problem
Computer Specs
Member with 32,634 posts.

21-May-2007, 08:09 AM #5
Yes i believe so . i have the same problem

Someone else might know a solution but its had me stumped for months lol

Found this
Some sites like Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, and banking sites instruct the browser to never allow your password manager to retain your information. If you use a shared workspace, then this is probably not desirable. If you are the sole user, then it’s quite handy.

I believe there is a firefox add on thatworks for Msn
Member with 56,087 posts.

22-May-2007, 06:07 AM #6
My guess is your not keeping a cookie to remember the password. Hotmail will put cookies on your PC from...
login.live.com that comes up first at the login screen so bet it is one from them.
Then once you login your get cookies from hotmail.msn.com and msn.com too.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
20-Jun-2007, 08:57 PM #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleHelix
The password isn't saved by some function of Hotmail. It's a function of the settings on the computer. If you're accessing Hotmail from a public computer (Internet cafe, library, etc.), it's probably designed to delete temporary files and cookies on a regular interval, as you'd want it to. As for not working on your personal computer, are you running CCleaner or any other cleaners or privacy protection-type applications? These are almost always the cause of this type of behavior.
Hi,

Read your answer re hotmail not saviing password and it makes sense. I'm having the same problem, and I use CCleaner. Is there some way that I can fix this?

Thanks,
Frank
Account Disabled with 24,388 posts.

21-Jun-2007, 08:53 AM #8
CCleaner deletes temporary files which deletes saved Hotmail passwords. You gotta pick one: a computer cleared of private data or one in which accessing your accounts is easier.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

30-Jun-2007, 09:15 PM #9
Here be da answer!
I have had the problem for over a year and couldn't ever figure it out. A creation of a password issue (password was not long enough) for a customer the other day led me to the solution. The problem is the duration of the password. This is controlled by the local policies on the computer. Here's the solution: Run>gpedit.msc>Computer Configuration> Windows Settings> Account Policies> Password Policy> Minimum Password Age should equal 0. Mine was set for 42 which is why it worked for a while and then stopped. I have rebooted my machine twice and the fix has held.
Member with 557 posts.

07-Aug-2007, 10:50 PM #10
Trying to help a friend w/ the same problem so I thought I'd walk thru the steps on my comp first.

I've tried two different comp by typing gpedit.msc in the "Run" box but says it can't find.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!