Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Lock IE homepage

(!)

Junior Member with 17 posts.

30-May-2007, 05:52 PM #1
Lock IE homepage
I have a network of about 50 PCs and I would like to lock user's homepage (to an intranet) so that users cannot change their homepage. There is a mix of IE6/7 and I think there may be a couple which are IE5.

What is the easiest way to do this?

Thanks in advance.
crazyjadles crazyjadles is offline crazyjadles has a Profile Picture
Member with 61 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-May-2007, 10:51 PM #2
Hey hey! I know how to 'unlock' the homepage... so maybe you can double back and 'lock' it. Good luck!

In Regedit, navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel

In the right-hand pane, right-click the "HomePage" value, then select Modify. Change it to: 00 00 00 00

Also change either or these to zero 0 instead of 1 if present:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explo rer] - DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions] - DWORD "NoSetHomePage"=dword:00000001

If you don't have this key, browse to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

and in the right hand pane, double click "Local Page" and set equal to "C:\WINDOWS\System\blank.htm" (no quotes) which will hopefully set your Home Page to blank and then allow you to subsequently modify it using Internet Options.

Exit regedit and reboot.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!