Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: IE7 locked homepage to MSN

(!)

Senior Member with 829 posts.

25-Jun-2007, 12:50 PM #1
Solved: IE7 locked homepage to MSN
I asked in the security forum about my homepage being "hijacked" by Microsoft's MSN.com. It won't change no matter what. The post is now on pg.8 even after a bump when it was on pg. 5. No one answered (that single reply is my own bump) http://forums.techguy.org/security/5...ven-start.html

I can reformulate the question as a browser issue for this forum.

I did the usual scans, reverted back to IE6 then back to IE7, registry hacks from Doug Knox's site to lock/unlock your homepage. Now I'm knee-deep in the registry.

I followed a Microsoft reg fix to delete a value under POLICIES, IE, MAIN.. which did not work. It said if there was an entry for HomePage, to delete it. I did, but now it's back.
The HOMEPAGE entry under MICROSOFT-INTERNET EXPLORER-CONTROL PANEL has the value = NAME-HomePage, TYPE-REG_DWORD, Data-0x00000000 (0).
Is there anything I can do with it? Does the "0" mean it's locked? If I change the first "0" to a "1," will it be unlocked and could I reset my homepage? Is there anything I can type in, something that's missing?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 604 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
25-Jun-2007, 12:56 PM #2
If you have SpyBot S&D installed, go to the "Immunize" section.
Is "Lock IE Start Page Settings" ticked?
If so, uncheck it.

25-Jun-2007, 03:07 PM #3
I did look for that before, it was unchecked and still is.

EDIT! - wait, that was in the S&D Tools section > IE TWEAKS. I'm at the Immunize screen now, it says All Knows Bad Products Are Already Blocked.
Computer Specs
Member with 7,000 posts.

Experience: Advanced
25-Jun-2007, 04:01 PM #4
You also have Norton running, I think there's an option in there somewhere that locks the homepage.

25-Jun-2007, 07:04 PM #5
That's it! I never would have found that. Not ever. What a relief!
I appreciate the good help from both of you.
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 15 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Jun-2007, 10:46 PM #6
I'm having the exact same problem!
I have Norton as well -- it's Norton that keeps telling me that an attempt is being made to change my homepage and even though I respond to "block" the attempt, it still changes to MSN. I've searched everywhere through Norton to see if I can "unlock" it with no success. Incidentally, this happened just after I ran SmitFraudFix to fix another trojan problem. Anyway, can you point me in the right Norton direction of how you fixed this???

30-Jun-2007, 11:27 PM #7
Sorry I didn't answer sooner ... I really hope you see this ...
(I have Norton 2006.)

Open Norton from system tray> Norton Preotection Center> "Web Browsing> "Spyware Protection> (a small drop-down menu will open right underneath)> "Configure Spyware Options> On the left menu under "Internet" - click last item, "Home Page Protection"> Clear checkmark in "Turn On Homepage Protection"> click OK.
That should do it. Finally. I know exactly how you feel.

When you uncheck that box all the other options get turned off - grayed out, so no worry about making any other adjustments.
Norton is such a %#@&!!
Junior Member with 1 posts.

Experience: Beginner
13-Jul-2008, 04:39 PM #8
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the help! I spent all day scanning my computer, courtesy of MSN security help, all to no avail in trying to change the daggone tab so that it wouldn't go to AOL. Then I happened on this topic in a google search and voila; problem solved.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!