Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: making hotmail your default email program

(!)

Member with 251 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
29-Jun-2007, 01:01 PM #1
Solved: making hotmail your default email program
How do i go about making hotmail my default email program? When I go to tools/ internet options/programs, the only choices I get are Windows Live mail, Outlook Express, Yahoo Mail, and Microsoft Office Outlook. I don't want to use any of these. When I click on a "send email to" link, I just want to go to my hotmail composition screen, not any of the choices I am given. Any help on this? Have XP.
professor05 professor05 is offline professor05 has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 29 posts.

Experience: Strong in that, weak in that.... Just ask me... :)
29-Jun-2007, 07:30 PM #2
I'd say Outlook Express would be the easiest way to send emails, without opening a browser.
Member with 251 posts.

29-Jun-2007, 07:37 PM #3
I don't want to use outlook. I don't even have it on my computer, just the trial version. Your opinion isn't exactly an answer to my question, no offense.
Account Disabled with 5,809 posts.

Experience: Advanced
29-Jun-2007, 07:39 PM #4
only older versions of oe had the hotmail tie-in, where you had an option to setup the hotmail account and then designate hm as the default.

the test, see if you can add a hotmail email account in oe .
Member with 251 posts.

29-Jun-2007, 07:48 PM #5
again, don't want to use outlook. I just want to be taken to the hotmail menu when I click on an "email me" link. Another thing. I tried selecting Windows Live Mail as my default just to see what would happen. So I experimented and clicked on an "email me" link. Another browser window opens, and I am asked for my hotmail address and password. After I enter this, I am given this message: Fatal Login Error. hr = 80041035, f = -2147217355. BUT, when I click the Start button and click on email in the upper left corner, it immediately takes me to hotmail. Why does this work but not the other?

29-Jun-2007, 09:31 PM #6
start/email is a hotmail link, "email me" is tied to your default email.
Member with 251 posts.

29-Jun-2007, 10:09 PM #7
I don't claim to be any expert, but are you sure that it's a hotmail link? If it was, then it would take me to the log in page, not to my in box. And when you change your default mail preference, it changes to what you set it to. Anyway, I still don't have an answer to the original question.
Member with 123 posts.

30-Jun-2007, 04:52 AM #8
Found this and just tried it.It actually works.It puts Hotmail(yes the free version) in the list of choices for default email program.The first time you use it you have to put your name and password in, but you can set it to remember them.This is in IE7,don't know if it works in IE6 or not.
Type in Start, Run: Copy and paste the following and hit ok.

Quote:
regsvr32 "%Programfiles%\Internet Explorer\HMMAPI.DLL"
Attached Thumbnails
Solved: making hotmail your default email program-snag-01.jpg  

Last edited by rabgary; 30-Jun-2007 at 05:02 AM..
Member with 251 posts.

30-Jun-2007, 02:55 PM #9
I tried it, and yes, it does make hotmail appear as one of the default email choices in IE 7. So I went to a website that as a "send email to" link to make sure it worked. Yes it does ask for your log in information for hotmail. But then I still get the same message: Fatal Login Error. hr = 80041035, f = -2147217355 Thank you for your help, though!

30-Jun-2007, 03:03 PM #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlogan1981
I don't claim to be any expert, but are you sure that it's a hotmail link? If it was, then it would take me to the log in page, not to my in box. And when you change your default mail preference, it changes to what you set it to. Anyway, I still don't have an answer to the original question.
you said it says "hotmail link" AND it takes you to something in hotmail, YOU SEE WHERE I'M GOING WITH THIS???????.

THAT'S HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK WHEN YOU SELECT "DEFAULT" email preference.
Member with 123 posts.

30-Jun-2007, 03:39 PM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlogan1981
I tried it, and yes, it does make hotmail appear as one of the default email choices in IE 7. So I went to a website that as a "send email to" link to make sure it worked. Yes it does ask for your log in information for hotmail. But then I still get the same message: Fatal Login Error. hr = 80041035, f = -2147217355 Thank you for your help, though!
I guess you have something else going on because I just tried making it the default mail program again and tried to send a link to this page.It brought up the Hotmail compose page and I sent the link to my isp account just fine.Hope you can get it worked out.
Member with 251 posts.

30-Jun-2007, 06:22 PM #12
anyone have any idea what that error message means?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 125 posts.

30-Jun-2007, 08:07 PM #13
Quote:
How do i go about making hotmail my default email program?
My first response is WHY would you want to?

I ask because Hotmail is, in my opinion, a curse to the world of email and the sooner every legitimate user abandons it, the better/easier spam filters will be able to do their job

I'm not suggesting you drop it overnight

Instead, get another email address and tell all your friends/contacts that your email address has changed then give it a few weeks/months/whatever to be sure that they have all updated their address book... and then simply forget about hotmail

If you're interested in another free account, I can recommend Gmail:

Switching to Gmail from Hotmail is easy, as is making it your default mail application
Member with 251 posts.

30-Jun-2007, 11:12 PM #14
again, not seeking opinions, just answers to my questions.
Member with 251 posts.

05-Jul-2007, 04:19 PM #15
bump
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!