Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

email recipient address rejected

(!)

Member with 173 posts.

06-Dec-2001, 05:51 PM #1
email recipient address rejected
Some emails won't send. I get error message:
protocol smtp server response 554 recipient address rejected relay access denied port25 secure(SSL) no server error 554 error number ox800CCC79
Is there something I can do?
Senior Member with 2,218 posts.

06-Dec-2001, 06:27 PM #2
hi rick
Which e-mail service is this?

Savvy
Senior Member with 3,208 posts.

07-Dec-2001, 04:24 AM #3
If its outlook express, do this. - Go to the 'Tools' menu and selecting 'Accounts'. Then select your 'fastmail' account from the list and click 'Properties'. Move to the tab named 'Servers' and make sure the 'My server requires authentication' checkbox is checked.

07-Dec-2001, 05:16 AM #4
Hmmmmmmmmm......... I don't have a fastmail on my OLEP

Savvy

07-Dec-2001, 04:08 PM #5
Thats just a code word for the account you want. Its the ISP mail handler for outlook.
Member with 173 posts.

07-Dec-2001, 05:16 PM #6
Thanks - but the relevant box is already checked.

I'm using several different ISP's and different email accounts. They will all send some emails but not others. The ones they will not send tend to be to companies with their own domain rather than private individuals - these have no problem.

07-Dec-2001, 05:28 PM #7
Nick... I have a suggestion & I do not know if it will work but I'd try to see if it was me.

Go to OE & when you have it open go to File & then to identity & set up an id there... when you open OE next you will have a choice of which identity you want to access.... then maybe you will be able to send to businesses using that one alone if you are (for EX: ) connected to the dialup & utilizing their server. I do not know if it will work.. its up to you

Savvy
Registered User with 2,323 posts.

07-Dec-2001, 06:28 PM #8
Have you tried a different email program?
Have you tried a different email program such as netscape messenger or pegasus mail? This would help you find out if it is an ISP problem or an OE problem.

http://www.pmail.com/downloads_risc_t.htm

Pegasus is a pretty good one that is less than 4 megs to download.

08-Dec-2001, 07:22 AM #9
Ok, 554 is a "transaction failed" code. Some of the things I find associated with this concerning domains is the character length. Are all header lines fewer than 64 characters and the messege text fewer than 256? If not, give that a shot and see.

08-Dec-2001, 07:37 AM #10
Also, got to tools>options>security tab>make sure internet zone and not restricted zone is checked.
Member with 173 posts.

10-Dec-2001, 05:08 PM #11
Thanks DoyceJ. All done but to no avail. However I have found one email address I sometimes use with a different ISP to my usual one that will send the message!

10-Dec-2001, 08:25 PM #12
Go back to this and uncheck it.

If its outlook express, do this. - Go to the 'Tools' menu and selecting 'Accounts'. Then select your 'fastmail' account from the list and click 'Properties'. Move to the tab named 'Servers' and make sure the 'My server requires authentication' checkbox is checked.
Senior Member with 4,117 posts.

Experience: Still Learning
11-Dec-2001, 06:31 AM #13
I have the same thing on my Outlook Express. What the problem is some ISP will not send the email if the mail program isn't there. In other words if your using Yahoo mail, you have to send it through Yahoo mail. If your using your ISP then you have to send it through your ISP. If your using Hot mail, you have to send it through hot mail.

11-Dec-2001, 06:40 AM #14
I have hotmail setup on Outlook Express & on Hotmail I receive mail thats for Outlook Express.
I get it either way... as long as I am connected.

Savvy

the difference is.... on Hotmail I can not send mail using my OE /isp name. whereas on OE I can send mail from hotmail domain, using their domain only.
raz raz is offline raz has a Profile Picture
Member with 250 posts.

Experience: MCSE
19-Jan-2003, 06:03 PM #15
TRY This
My system has the same problem, It can recieve mail but give a Server response 554 msg when trying to send mail. I rang the ISP helpline and they thought that maybe OE6 had got corrupted somehow during the install of my new adsl modem. They suggested removing OE6 and reinstalling it.

A hastle I know but i am going to give it a go once i get another copy of OE6

Try that also
RAZ
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!