Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

OUTLOOK - Loss of Contacts list

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
30-Dec-2007, 03:27 PM #1
Cool OUTLOOK - Loss of Contacts list
I have lost the Contacts List from Outlook. When I click on the TO button to enter the name of an addressee, I get an error message saying:
The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permission.

However, a click on the CONTACTS button in the Navigation Panel opens the Address Book.

How do I restore the association between the Contacts List and Outlooks TO Button ?
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,220 posts.

Experience: Can handle a mouse
30-Dec-2007, 04:08 PM #2
Cabrach,

Welcome to TSG!

In Outlook, go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > Add a new directory or address book > Additional Address Books > Outlook Address Book.
Click Next, then OK.

In Outlook's Folder List, right click on the Contacts folder and select Properties.
Go to the Outlook Address Book tab and check the Show this folder an an e-mail Address Book box and click OK.
Computer Specs

31-Dec-2007, 05:26 AM #3
Dear Ratboy,
My sincere thanks for an astoundingly fast reply. I followed your instructions to the letter. But when I go to address a new e-mail, a dialogue box entitled SELECT NAMES opens. The panel entitled SHOW NAMES FROM THE; shows CONTACTS, but there is no list of names from the Address Book or Contacts list in the panel below, which carries the headings, NAME: DISPLAY NAME: E-MAIL ADDRESS;
What do I do now, please?

Cabrach

Last edited by Cabrach; 31-Dec-2007 at 05:27 AM.. Reason: To clarify my text
Computer Specs

31-Dec-2007, 01:09 PM #4
In the dialog you describe, select the drop down arrow from the Show Names from the: list.
Is Contact listed twice? If so, select the second one.

Then again, in Folder List, right click on the Contacts folder and select Properties.
Go to the Outlook Address Book tab and make sure the Show this folder an an e-mail Address Book box is checked and click OK.

Close and restart Outlook.
Computer Specs

31-Dec-2007, 02:27 PM #5
Dear Ratboy,
I’m beginning to feel like Royalty, receiving such fast service ! I followed your second lot of instructions to the letter. CONTACT was listed twice and I clicked on the second one, and hey presto!- the contents of the Address Book appeared. I went through the rest of your instructions, closed and restarted OUTLOOK, but when I address a new e-mail, I have the same problem all over again, except that, this time, I can go to the second listed CONTACT in order to get the names in the Address Book.
What do I have to do to get the second listed CONTACT to be the permanent selection?
Cabrach
Computer Specs

04-Jan-2008, 02:50 AM #6
Happy New Year!
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Let's start over fresh.

In Outlook, go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or change existing directories or address books
Click Next
Highlight Outlook Address Book, then click Remove, OK, and Finish
Close and restart Outlook

In Outlook, go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > Add a new directory or address book > Additional Address Books > Outlook Address Book.
Click Next, then OK.
Close and restart Outlook

In Outlook's Folder List, right click on the Contacts folder and select Properties.
Go to the Outlook Address Book tab and check the Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book box
Click Apply, then OK.

You should be set.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!