Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Sending Outlook email from different locations with different ISPs

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Mar-2008, 04:26 PM #1
Sending Outlook email from different locations with different ISPs
I use the same laptop from my work location and my home location. (I am a small business owner, so I don't have an IT Dept to help!!!)
But I have different ISPs at home and at work.
So, when I go to send email from Outlook 2007, I have to change my outgoing mail server from one ISP to another.
Is there a way for me to setup different ISP outgoing mail servers so that I don't have to keep changing the settings in Tools, Account Settings???
Any help at all would be much appreciated.
BBH

PS. I have searched support.microsoft.com and as usual, they are of no help! :P
Computer Specs
Member with 2,068 posts.

Experience: Advanced
04-Mar-2008, 11:25 AM #2
Who are the ISP's. Are you running some kind of mail server locally at work? Typically you should not need to change this. The mail server name should resolve on the Internet no matter what ISP you happen to be connected to.
Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Network Administrator
04-Mar-2008, 12:42 PM #3
who holds your email account, if you have not IT dept. you probably arn't running exchange (can see if you are by looking on the botton right i will say something like connected to exchange or disconnected) but with 2007 if you use, say verizon for your mail it should work with any connection, beware of ISPs that block port 25 (mail port) i think comcast and roadrunner do but a little googling will tell you who does this might help explain why you cant send from one place but can from another.
Junior Member with 1 posts.

06-Mar-2008, 08:50 AM #4
I have the same problem. I normally send email from my own company mail server but have just moved into a rented office where we have to use the LAN of the office service provider for network access. Just found out they block access to all external SMTP servers so we have to send through their mail server whilst in the office.

I was hoping there would be some location profile feature in Vista/Outlook to easily change the SMTP setting when logging on. Failing that I came across this app - dunno if it's any good.
http://net-profile-switch.jitbit-software.qarchive.org/
cwwozniak   (Chuck) cwwozniak is offline cwwozniak is a Trusted Advisor with special permissions. cwwozniak has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 47,062 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
06-Mar-2008, 11:05 AM #5
Some ISPs block sending e-mail using the typical SMTP port 25 on servers outside of their own network. However they may permit sending to outside servers that use a secure and authenticated SMTP (port 465) connection. I know that AT&T/Yahoo does this.

Find out if your ISP permits this type of SMTP connection. If they do, then find out if the work server you are using supports using a secure and authenticated connection. The server administrator should give you the details for using these type of connections.
stormyonell stormyonell is offline stormyonell has a Profile Picture
Computer Specs
Member with 253 posts.

Experience: I just make it up as I go
06-Mar-2008, 11:12 AM #6
I had good luck simply calling the IPS requiring use of their SMPT and asking them to open the port I need to use for my work SMTP. They were happy to do it and I no longer had to change my laptop settings when I took it home.
Computer Specs

14-Mar-2008, 08:46 AM #7
Wisefrog - I am not sure that I am looking for a software solution. I am thinking that it is merely a setting.

skinny, skippy, wisefrog - I don't run any servers at work or at home. I use a standalone laptop and plug the RJ45(?) cable into my LAN port and away I go. I have set up my Outlook to pull my POP3 mail. That is all. The receiving/downloading from any ISP works a treat. It was the 'sending/outgoing' that was the problem.
Computer Specs

14-Mar-2008, 08:54 AM #8
But since I posted initially, I have now set up one account for each ISP using "Tools, Account Settings".

In each Account, I made sure that the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) contained the appropriate SMTP server from each ISP. So, I now have an Account for ISP#1 with SMTP equal to mail.ISP#1.com, an Account for ISP#2 with SMTP equal to smtp.mail.ISP#2.com and so on.

Now, when I write emails, there is a new button "Account" just below the "Send" button. And if I am at home, I select the home ISP and if at work, I select the work ISP. (In fact, I made the work ISP the default Account.)

Thank you everyone for trying to help.
BBH
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!