Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Saving specific cookies in Firefox

(!)

Member with 137 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
18-May-2008, 10:15 AM #1
Question Solved: Saving specific cookies in Firefox
I have Firefox set to keep cookies until I close it, which is the default setting I want. However, there are a handful of cookies that I want to keep for the next time I surf, and I can't find an option that allows me to delete all cookies, except those I want, when FF closes. I see where FF allows me to create exceptions for allowing/blocking cookies, but not for saving them on closing. Does anyone know where/if that option exists? Thanks!
Trusted Advisor with 16,282 posts.

18-May-2008, 10:38 AM #2
Member with 137 posts.

18-May-2008, 11:37 AM #3
Thanks for tutorial! This helps alot, but it's just a tad shy of my optimum fix.

The "ask me each time" + "allow for session" certainly gets me where I want to go -- saving wanted cookies and deleting unwanted cookies when the browser closes. But the problem is that I routinely visit a lot of new sites and that approach certainly slows things down. The cookie queries quickly get on the nerves!

It would be a lot better to have an option that allows the user to specify exceptions on closing the same way FF allows exceptions on blocking. When FF closes, I want it to delete all cookies except those I specify. Does that option just not exist?
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

18-May-2008, 01:17 PM #4
I believe that FF has an add on option called "cookieculler" which allows you to keep or not allow cookies from specified sites.
Take a look and see if that will fit your requirement.
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

18-May-2008, 01:23 PM #5
Here is the link to cookieculler

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...culler&cat=all

Hope it helps
Member with 137 posts.

18-May-2008, 01:31 PM #6
This is right on the money. Thanks, pedroguy!
Computer Specs
Member with 6,523 posts.

18-May-2008, 01:40 PM #7
Glad I could help.
Computer Specs
Member with 56,131 posts.

19-May-2008, 03:39 AM #8
I have use CookieCuller for a long time and it works great.

Also use CookieSafe.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2497

What is nice about CookieSafe is you can temporarily allow a cookie.
The temporarily cookie does not get added to your Exceptions list like "allow", "allow for session, or "block" cookies.
Member with 137 posts.

19-May-2008, 07:29 PM #9
Sweet. Thanks! I'll play with both add-ons and see which works better.
Computer Specs
Member with 56,131 posts.

20-May-2008, 01:38 AM #10
Your welcome.
I use only the Exceptions rules. So I only have sites in the Exceptions list of sites I want to "allow", "allow for session, or "block" cookies.
In the Options, Privacy tab uncheck the Accept cookies from sites box and then it will only go by what is in the Exceptions list. All other not on the list get block by default without getting added to the list as block.
I have Spyware Blaster that adds to the Exceptions list but I turned off that protection because it is not needed. Same with Spybot - Search & Destroy.

If you want to play around then best to backup the cookies.
Get MozBackup. http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
Now you can backup and restore everything and as you learn to get more control over the cookies you may delete one you did not mean to but you can close Firefox and do a restore of the cookies only and then your be back to where you was. It took me a couple days to get all the cookies cleaned up and block added ones from site I need a cookie but they have lots of other cookies from the same site that are not needed. So having a backup is good so you can undo things.
I wish Firefox Exceptions list showed all cookies from a site and not just the site so you can undo a cookie you blocked but it does not work that way.
If you look at the cookies with CookieCuller your see you can put a checkmark in the box at the bottom to not let the cookie be set again. But in the Exceptions list it does not show up the same way.
I keep CookieCuller on the toolbar too and clear all unprotected cookies before going to the next site but you got to watch out getting in a rush that you don't check that box or your block a cookie you want. You don't have to click at the box either but anywhere on that line to the right of it.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!