Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Login problems only with Capital One (cookies)

(!)

Junior Member with 4 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
03-Jul-2008, 04:58 PM #1
Angry Solved: Login problems only with Capital One (cookies)
I tried to pay my Capital One card online like I always do, but it gives the "enable cookies" message. I have IE7 and have followed the directions listed from other threads (set on medium and overide cookie handling, set capitalone.com as allow), but still get the same message. My other websites log-in fine and Capital One can only say that it is a problem with my browser (nice customer service). . . Please help!!
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 7,141 posts.

03-Jul-2008, 06:23 PM #2
Do you have Spybot S&D 1.5.2 installed by chance?

Peace...

03-Jul-2008, 07:37 PM #3
not that I am aware of, but I am just above novice. . .
Computer Specs

03-Jul-2008, 07:47 PM #4
Well, Spybot would have been something you installed. If you look at the list of applications you have installed, you should see it listed if it's installed. Spybot will configure your browser(s) to block a number of cookies as part of its immunization feature and I was thinking this might be contributing to your problem.

Have you EVER been able to login to Capital One's site using IE7 on your system?

Peace...

04-Jul-2008, 02:51 PM #5
Yes, I log on every time I get their email to access my account and pay the bill. I have not installed anything in the last month either. Should I delete all cookies?

04-Jul-2008, 03:03 PM #6
I went back to get some tech. support from Capital One. The rep. asked about the time and date on the bottom of my screen and sure enough the date said August 3, 2008 (a month into the future). I reset that and now I can log-in.
Computer Specs

04-Jul-2008, 04:32 PM #7
Sweet! Glad you got it sorted out.

Peace...
Junior Member with 7 posts.

03-Aug-2008, 10:45 PM #8
I have the same problem with IE7 when I try to get into e-mail or ebay account. Says enable cookies and java. they are both enabled and I still can't get in. keeps telling me to enable cookies. HELP!
Computer Specs

03-Aug-2008, 11:23 PM #9
Something is probably blocking cookies from being set in your browser. What security software do you have installed?

Peace...

04-Aug-2008, 06:14 AM #10
thanks for reply
I have norton on my computer. It isn't always on. Haven't had any trouble until yesterday when my wife couldn't log into her ebay account. I've checked security settings. I have windows xp. I have cookies enabled. The error I keep getting is cookies and java not enabled. But they are. Thanks for you help. Cookies had been deleted yesterday as were tempory internet files but this never causes a problem.
Computer Specs

04-Aug-2008, 09:58 AM #11
My gut tells me Norton is interfering. How do you confirm "it isn't always on"?

Peace...

04-Aug-2008, 09:38 PM #12
Smile Fixed
Apparently norton is on. my mistake. I have since downloaded Acoo browser and it seems to have fixed my problem. When I use Internet explorer as my browser I still can't sign in to email. Acoo browser is working fine for me and I am able to sign into all my accounts. I am still curious about internet explorer not working like it used to, but I am happy with Acoo for now. Thanks for your replies and assistance, much appreciated. If you have any ideas about my explorer problem let me know. I will look into Norton settings when I get home. I work nights.
Thanks again.

Richard
Computer Specs

05-Aug-2008, 12:03 AM #13
Sounds like Norton's firewall is blocking something the remote site needs for it to function properly. One thing you can try is to boot into safe mode with networking and see if you can login to your sites using IE.

EDIT: By the way, why did you choose Acoo over Maxthon or Avant?

Peace...

06-Aug-2008, 12:12 AM #14
I never heard of Maxthon or Avant. Are those better.
My problem now is that I have antivirus xp 2008 on my computer and it won't go away. Keeps trying to sell me their product. I've uninstalled and it still pops up. Really annoying. Wonder if it came with the acoo browser. My login problem is solved. I went into safe mode like you said and it did the trick. This antivirus xp is really annoying though.
Thanks again for assistance. Glad there are people like you to help novices like me out.
Richard.
Computer Specs

06-Aug-2008, 12:36 AM #15
If you have antivirus xp 2008 on your system, your system is infected with malware. Start a thread in the malware removal forum here and seek their assistance with removing antivirus xp 2008.

Good luck!

Maxthon and Avant are other browsers that use IE's rendering engine, like Acoo. I figured you downloaded Acoo because you wanted to stick with IE's rendering engine instead of switching to Firefox or Opera or Safari, all of which support web standards far better than IE. I was just curious, that's all.

Peace...
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
cookies

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!