Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet Explorer Will No Longer Save File Downloads or open attachments from webmail

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

22-Jul-2008, 07:57 PM #1
Unhappy Internet Explorer Will No Longer Save File Downloads or open attachments from webmail
I would appreciate any help with this problem.

I am using Internet explorer 8 in 7 emulation mode and it has now stopped saving or opening any downloads. The process begins asking open or save and allows me to state where to save if i take the option. However for some reason files no longer open and save to the designated folder.

I am also unable to open any webmail attachments (Btyahoo) word excel pdf ect.

I am using Vista Home Premium (fully updated according to windows update)

This problem occurs in both accounts and I have also tried turning UAC off.

Many Thanks for any support you may offer.

Regards

Mark Boden
Non Techie Useless Guy.
Moderator with 13,755 posts.

24-Jul-2008, 04:44 AM #2
Not testing it myself. Hopefully, the following links will help.

Windows Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 Release Notes
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949787

Report a Webpage Problem Internet Explorer 8.0 Beta Add-On
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

There are also newsgroups for Beta testers:
microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta
The server: news.microsoft.com should already be configured in Windows Mail.
Computer Specs
Member with 84 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
26-Jul-2008, 08:29 PM #3
If you have a high number of downloads or attachments from your webmail and they are saved,you may have to delete the downloads cause you already had them installed.I cannot prove this...some of these saved attachments could be adware viruses in disguise.Your IE may have a tool to prevent this from happening.So for safety reasons,it has halted all downloads and attachments.
I am commenting and hoping more readers will add their suggestions.

All the best.
Junior Member with 3 posts.

27-Jul-2008, 08:25 PM #4
Dropped back to IE 7 but still same problems
I have dropped back to IE7 but still I can no longer save any form of file link (pdf, doc, jpeg etc) torrent files will not link, I am able to begin a download (.exe, .jpg, .doc etc) and the full file appears to save to my harddrive but when I return to the respective folder no such file exsists (The same happens if i just try to open them). If i try to reopen a file that has previously opened from web mail (btYahoo) it will no longer open (excel files mainly but several jpeg and word documents).

I am guessing that IE no longer responds to any file or web link correctly - however i have tried resetting all defaults as listed on the microsoft site.

Many thanks for any help you may be able to give.

Regards

MArk Boden
Computer Specs
Member with 84 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Jul-2008, 04:47 PM #5
Hello... Have you tried changing your download destination to your Desktop,for example, Save As....Desktop instead of Hardrive ?

Have you ever done " Start ">>>" Find ">>>" Files and Folders " and type in the file download name to search your Hardrive ?

I want you to think about this comment.
Besides my Internet Explorer I have Netscape Navigator v9 as an alternate browser.I use it just like the Explorer.Matter of fact,I am using it as we speak.It has its own Download Manager.I don't want to promote anything here at this site and it is up to you if interested.You can also look into FireFox.

Your Webmail service is Yahoo .If it sees the Attachments as a threat,it will ( w/out your permission) send it to the " Trash " bin or delete it on the spot.
One more thing and I am going to repeat this based on my experience:
If there are important downloads or updates,Save as ( destinate ) to Your Desktop if asked.After the downloads finish you can delete them from your Desktop.The downloads will be in effect.Try another Webmail service for Attachments. I have four.

Again I am commenting and hoping this will give you some ideas.

Keep me posted.

Thanks.
Acter.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
beta, download, internet explorer, problems, save

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!