Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Browser windows opening up on their own

(!)

Member with 214 posts.

Experience: Not computer literate w/the technical aspects
16-Sep-2008, 11:08 PM #1
Browser windows opening up on their own
I will have 1 or 2 windows open doing some work online, and then it will just start opening up explorer windows. I have to usually log off or shut down my computer to stop them. I have spyware and virus programs that are up-to-date and I run them frequently. What does this sound like and what can I do to stop it? It doesn't do it all the time.
Computer Specs
Member with 223 posts.

Experience: WoW Im StuPeed
17-Sep-2008, 03:12 AM #2
Just want to make sure Internet Explorer windows opening up? If so what if any websites are they opening to? When you run the virus and spyware are they finding anything? If not I would update both your anti-spyware and anti-virus programs. Reboot start up in safe mode and do a complete system scan with the antisone at a time. Also It doesn't hurt to have more than 1 anti-spyware program, only one should be running at a time.
Junior Member with 10 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
17-Sep-2008, 05:13 AM #3
Opening with only some specific sites or with all.If with only some, then these may be popups from that site. Otherwise a virus/spy.
Member with 214 posts.

17-Sep-2008, 02:26 PM #4
It is IE explorer windows that open up, it opens to my home page. It had opened up 50windows before I got it to stop the last time, had to log off my computer to do it. It justs does it at random. Using Symantec virus software, updated constantly, Spybot S&D, updated constantly and Spyware Blaster, also keep it updated. It doesn't show anything when I run the scans.
I may be on Myspace or just browsing, like IMDB looking for info on a movie, and it starts.
Member with 214 posts.

18-Sep-2008, 08:12 PM #5
Started this time when I was on yahoo.com checking my mail. Sometimes I can get a spybot box that opens and asks me for blocking confirmation for some kind of site and I always block, other times is doesn't show that box.
I ran spybot immediately after this happened and it showed no problems.
Would it stop if I went to Firefox instead of using IE 6? Need any help someone can give me because it is starting to drive me crazy.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!