Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Any way to find out who hacked/guessed my password?

(!)

Junior Member with 3 posts.

01-Oct-2008, 04:24 PM #1
Question Any way to find out who hacked/guessed my password?
I believe that someone may have gotten into my yahoo account since I tried putting my password in and didn't work. Is there a way to find out the location of the person/computer where it came from like IP address or whatever. I have changed everything so, hopefully it won't happen again. Thanks.
Member with 433 posts.

Experience: Software Developer
01-Oct-2008, 11:36 PM #2
Tracking down the culprit is highly unlikely to be successful (especially for a Yahoo account). Just be happy that you got your account back, that's what really matters!
Computer Specs
Member with 55,870 posts.

02-Oct-2008, 03:51 AM #3
Best to just use a good strong password that is hard to guess.

14-Oct-2008, 05:10 PM #4
Cool Newbie (ish) Define Hacking....
I'm pretty much betting this isn't hacking, but I need and want to clarify for a friend. Of course, hacking is wrong, but recently I had something happen to my yahoo account, which thankfully has been fixed. Anyway, is it considered hacking if you know the persons DOB, Country of residence and their answer to their secret question to their yahoo account or is it just pure luck that you know their info? Money better be rolling in for me. Thanks.
Moderator with 69,360 posts.

14-Oct-2008, 05:53 PM #5
You should continue posting to this thread instead of starting a new one. I've combined your two threads.

Just for the record I agree with hewee, strong passwords!!
Computer Specs

15-Oct-2008, 04:51 AM #6

15-Oct-2008, 09:43 PM #7
Hewee, I understand having a strong password, but I guess with my second question...Is it considered hacking if someone had correctly guessed my DOB, zip code and secret question? I'm thinking it was too easy, but I'm curious.
Computer Specs

16-Oct-2008, 03:10 AM #8
No it was just guess the password. But if you are guess it to get into someones account to do something when you should not be there then I would say it is called hacking even if you guessed what it was.

Reason to get a good password. But how do you know you guessed the password? Did you say some to the person or just tried it when they was not around. That would be hacking into there computer if they do not know about it.
You could tell them they need to change it for 1980hewee95680 that is a Weak Password to something more like 1980He*&wee95680 that is a Strong Password and you can make it even Stronger by changing it to 19-80!$_He*_&wEe^95680.
Member with 34 posts.

Experience: Advanced
16-Oct-2008, 05:55 PM #9
Well, according to Palin, it is considered hacking.

I wouldn't consider it hacking, because all it takes is the knowledge to figure out where the information is.

People put all their info on places like MySpace and Facebook, etc, without realizing that with this info, taken to another place, you can get into almost anything without actually hacking.

Hacking, cracking, phishing, etc, are all illegal.

Anytime you access something that you are not supposed to, that is now considered "hacking", even though it is not "real" hacking in this case.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
email, hack, password

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!