Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Problem importing old dbx files in Outlook Express 6

(!)

Junior Member with 2 posts.

08-Oct-2008, 09:31 AM #1
Problem importing old dbx files in Outlook Express 6
Quote :

'If your backup files did not include "Folders.dbx", this method of importing will not work as OE will not "see" the *.dbx files without Folders.dbx. To work around this, click File| Identities| Add New Identity. Switch to the new Identity when prompted, but cancel the new account wizard that starts automatically. Click Tools| Options| Maintenance| Store Folder to determine the location of this Identity's store. Close OE and open the store folder in Windows Explorer. Copy your old *.dbx files into this store folder, then delete the file "Folders.dbx". Open OE and it will create a new Folders.dbx that includes the old *.dbx files. Click File| Switch Identities and return to your original Identity. Click File| Import| Messages| OE5 (or OE6)| Identity and select the new Identity. After the import is complete, you can delete the new Identity, and then manually delete its store folder.'

Yep - in principle, I understand all that. The trouble is, for me, it isn't working. There are a number of old dbx files that Outlook Express just isn't 'seeing', and when I go through the above process, it still doesn't 'see' them. It creates a new folders.dbx file all right, but the new file still only sees the same folders that the old one did. I can, if need be, import each of these old dbx files individually - and it took me about four days to figure that out! - but it's a very time-consuming process one at a time and would be much simpler if the procedure described above could actually be made to work.

Any suggestions, or anyone else had the same problem? ( I don't know how much difference this makes, but I'm using Windows XP, by the way ).

All ideas gratefully appreciated!

Thanks.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,021 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
08-Oct-2008, 04:41 PM #2
Check the DBX files you are trying to put in to see if they are marked "Read Only". Right click>Properties>Uncheck Read only attribute>OK.
Junior Member with 2 posts.

08-Oct-2008, 05:19 PM #3
God knows I wish it were that simple. No, that was the first thing I tried ... I've checked each file individually and they all have the 'read only' box unchecked. I've even tried checking the box, closing the folder, re-opening it and unchecking the box, just to see if it made any difference ... which it didn't. Not that I don't appreciate the suggestion! - But if anyone has any others, I'd appreciate them too!
Moderator with 13,763 posts.

08-Oct-2008, 05:45 PM #4
Hi Firefox1701

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

It can get confusing trying to keep straight which directory contains the .dbx files for each Identity.

Why don't you just copy the .dbx files into the default Identity's directory?
You may need to change the filenames slightly to avoid overwriting another .dbx file.
For example, if you are copying another Inbox.dbx file into the directory, change the name to Inbox(1).dbx, then paste it into the directory.

After all files have been copied to the directory, rename the Folders.dbx file to Folders.dbx.old.

Keep Outlook Express closed during this process.

When you open Outlook Express, the new folders should appear.
If new folders are not appearing, open the directory containing the .dbx files and see if a new Folders.dbx file has been created.
If a new Folders.dbx file has been created, close Outlook Express and delete the Folders.dbx file.
Restart Outlook Express.

Let us know if that works for you or not.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!