Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Can't access website

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 3 posts.

Experience: Beginner
03-Nov-2008, 11:28 PM #1
Can't access website
Hi-

I did try and search the forums, and while I did find a few similar situations, none of the other threads seemed to be exactly like mine.

If I missed one - my apologies.

I have been trying for about 2-3 weeks to access www.gotop100.com It is a top site list site that I have a list on that I have been able to access just fine in the past. Suddenly, with out rhyme or reason, I stopped being able to get into it. It just clocks and clocks and then I get a "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" page.

It's not a problem with my connection, at least the problem is not that I'm not connected, because I have other windows open connecting to their respective sites just fine.

I've tried going in via a bookmark, typing it directly and searching on Google and trying to follow a link from there.

I hadn't added any new software or made any system changes. I cannot think of anything I have done to my computer or software that would impact that site - or any site for that matter.

I have McAfee Security Center. I've updated it and scanned repeatedly. I've deleted temporary files again and again. I added it to my list of Trusted Sites.

At the suggestion of another site, I downloaded both AdAware and Spybot and have run them both twice. It didn't help.

I emailed the site itself and they said they have no idea why it would be happening. I contacted some other people I know to see if they could access the site ok - and they can.

I am on a new Dell Inspiron (about 2 months old), running Windows Vista. I primarily use IE 7, but I have tried Firefox and get the same problem. I connect via Verizon DSL.

I have not experienced this on any other site.

I hope I've included everything. Forgive me if I left something out. I'm not used to posting on support forums.

I appreciate any help you may be able to give me.

Thanks
Kerry
maneetpuri maneetpuri is offline maneetpuri has a Profile Picture
Member with 135 posts.

04-Nov-2008, 07:49 AM #2
Hi,

Thats strange, i checked and I was also able to open it.....

Are you using any proxy? if yes then try to clear the cache of proxy and retry. Plus try to browse it using safari or IE 6.

Cheers,

~Maneet
LeXolution IT Services
Web Development Services
Computer Specs

05-Nov-2008, 11:14 AM #3
no, I'm not using a proxy. I guess I could download yet another browser and try, but I would prefer to find out why I stopped being able to view it on IE7 as I have been able to until recently.

thanks
Computer Specs
Junior Member with 12 posts.

Experience: Advanced
06-Nov-2008, 03:38 AM #4
Hiya, I am having similar issue. I cannot open http://torrentleech.org on my desktop pc, however, I use my laptop and I can access the site no problems.

I am using IE7 on both computers (same as krwdesigns I would prefer not to install another browser as it works fine on laptop)
Vista 64bit Ultimate on both computers
Both running through a Belkin wireless router.

I read another post saying my browser may be hijacked, but why can I access all other sites I have tried?

Also, just tried cmd prompt and tried:
google.com - got a ping back
forums.techguy.org - got ping back
torrentleech.org - timed out

Also tried trends online scan
Quote:
HouseCall - Scanning and Cleaning Complete
HouseCall did not find any potential threats to your computer. Please use HouseCall weekly to keep your PC virus and malware free.

Last edited by Wackster71; 06-Nov-2008 at 05:59 AM..
Computer Specs

07-Nov-2008, 01:21 PM #5
Well, I don't know what I did, but today I can suddenly access the site again.

I've been running McAfee, AdAware and SpyBot every day. The only thing I've done different, is I defragmented last night.

Well, whatever it was, it's ok now.

Thanks anyway

Kerry
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
can't access site, can't view, cannot display webpage

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!