Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Cannot Open files attached to emails

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 10 posts.

11-Dec-2008, 11:51 PM #1
Solved: Cannot Open files attached to emails
Hi,

I bought a new pc but now find that it cannot open files (word, excel, pdf) attached to Emails. My details are:

Vista Home Premium - SP 1
Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox
Microsoft Office 2007
TrendMicro Antivirus/firewall
HP multifunction printer attached to home workgroup

Initially, using Internet Explorer, I could open files but could not print. I then downloaded Firefox which could both open and print files for a short period. But today, both browsers could not open files attached to emails.

When I try to open by doubleclicking the attached file, it does the usual scan for virus, then came up to say it's safe, and when I doubleclick "download file", it goes to a blank page with the word "Done" on the bottom left corner.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Joe
Member with 35 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
12-Dec-2008, 12:57 AM #2
What email provider is it you're trying to do this with?...
This only matters if you're using a "not so heard of" provider, as some ISP webmails encounter this type of problem, due to lack of server capabilities for customer base..

hotmail for instance, last i knew of, used trend micro to scan attatchments.....

none the less, I suggest first things first, to disable your firewalls (trend micro" and try to download as u are currently..if it still doesn't work, disable the antivirus and turn on the firewall, this not leaving you entirely exposed then try and download as normal (only with well known attatchments, send yourself a test) if this works then look into a new antivirus and if it works without firewall but with antivirus look into a new firewall, i personally can't say i prefer trend micro as i've never had anything but problems....good luck
Computer Specs

12-Dec-2008, 07:19 AM #3
cannot open files attached to emails
Hi,
(a) The email is with Yahoo
(b) the ISP is Telstra Bigpond (the national telephone company for Australia)

I have no such problems with 3 other computers (all Using XP though, with Trend Micro and IE 6 and Firefox) in the house.

I had tried sending Word, Excel and PDF files to my own email address. They all open on the other 3 pc without problems, except for this problematic this new pc (which is the only one with Vista, IE7).

The problem persists even when I have disabled Trend Micro's firewall (but not the antivirus)... But the same Trend Micro software that is loaded on the other pcs work fine.

(I am a little concern about disabling the anti-virus and hv not tried that yet. ).

Can anyone help?

thanks,
Joe
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,020 posts.

12-Dec-2008, 10:14 AM #4
Can you save the attachments to a folder and then open them?
Member with 35 posts.

12-Dec-2008, 11:05 AM #5
no reason to be concerned about disabling your antivirus if ur opening an email attachment u sent yourself...probly 5 minutes tops u'll have it off...

but u left out the fact ur running vista...are you logged on as administrator?
Computer Specs

13-Dec-2008, 05:49 AM #6
cannot open files attached to emails
Hi,

By disabling the TrendMicro antivirus, I now can open, save and print both Word and Excel docs (presumably, also pdf and others as well). However, this solution would mean:
(a) exposing my computer to virus, during printing etc; and
(b) inconvenience, as I receive attachments often during the day.

Besides, replacing Trend Micro with another Anti Virus (which may give the same problem) or disabling the Trend Micro Anti Virus, is there another solution that is also safe for my pc?

(If the Trend Micro anti virus is enabled, the problem will exist for both IE7 and Firefox, for both login as "Administrator" and "Standard User" in Vista. This problem include not being able to save the file as well as not being able to open it.)

Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Joe
Computer Specs

14-Dec-2008, 11:10 PM #7
Cannot Open Files attached to emails
Hi,

I have found the solution to the problem and hope to share this with others:

(a) At the Trend Micro AntiVirus, click "Settings"; then click "Change Profile"; then untick "Threat to email attachments"; and accept the new settings.

(when the "Threat to email attachments" is ticked, Trend Micro stops even clean attachments from opening and saving. When this is unticked, the attachments can be opened and saved.).

This solution is safe as long as we have Antivirus function enabled (i.e. "ON").

Hope this helps other users who may hv the same problem.

However, this solution has limitations on my pc. I could only print emails and web pages using Firefox (but unable to print them using Internet Explorer 7). I guess I would hv to keep using Firefox for my surfing and emails for any printing purposes.

thanks to all those who offered help.

Regards,
Joe
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!