Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: Hotmail: Block someone from sending me an email and auto-reply ...

(!)

Junior Member with 5 posts.

21-Jan-2009, 06:08 PM #1
Solved: Hotmail: Block someone from sending me an email and auto-reply ...
Hi,

I'm using Hotmail and I want to block another Hotmail user from sending me an e-mail, but I also want an 'Unable to be delivered' e-mail sent back to the person so that they think their message was not sent to me.

Is this possible to do with Hotmail ?

Thanks for your help
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,056 posts.

Experience: Einstein
21-Jan-2009, 09:05 PM #2
Sounds like your trying to get one over on someone. I hope no one here helps you.

22-Jan-2009, 06:35 AM #3
I hope no-one here helps you
How do you know why I want to block this person and let them know they are blocked? Are you, miraculously, aware of the misery this person has caused me? Of course you are not. You have chosen to pre-judge me, someone you have never met! My goodness, what an unfortunate character trait. You should work on it and I also think that if you have nothing useful, kind or honest to say on a matter, then your words are best left unspoken/unwritten.

Most unhelpful. I am amazed you are a senior member.
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 6,782 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
24-Jan-2009, 06:01 AM #4
FYI, the characterizations of a members "standing" is based simply on the number of posts made. There are arbitrary guide lines set up by TSG.

I agree, one should not prejudge a person.

{redoak}

24-Jan-2009, 06:29 AM #5
thank you
Thanks, Redoak.

Actually, I have seen somthing similar to what I was looking for, but I can't find it/operate it from hotmail. I am sure that whenever I get an email bounced back, when, for example, that person is not allowed to receive certain emails at work, I do not think "that person has got one over on me!"
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

24-Jan-2009, 06:31 AM #6
You can block someone by adding them to the Blocked Senders list. Emails they send will be automatically deleted. They do not get a response sent back though.

While Outlook and OE won't apply rules to HTTP mail (hotmail), you can forward all your Hotmail mail to your ISP account (leaving a copy on Hotmail), then use Outlook, or Outlook Express to download your ISP account, and set up a rule to reply to that person. I'm not sure if you can set the reply to be sent via your Hotmail account though, but I think you can. Otherwise it would be sent via your ISP account, which you probably don't want to do in this situation.

The reply would be sent the next time you check and send mail, so you'd need to set it to check on a regular basis to make it seem more automatic. Anyone looking at the headers would know that it was sent from you though, and not from a Hotmail server, so replying with a "Mail Delivery Failure -- Mailbox closed" wouldn't fool too many people.

A reply saying "Mail Delivery Failure - Your Mail has been Folded, Spindled, and Mutilated, and rendered totally unreadable. Please contact your ISP for assistance" might be fun though.

Check out Tools | Message Rules (OE) or Tools | Rules and Alerts (Outlook2K3)

HTH

Jerry

24-Jan-2009, 06:37 AM #7
think I have the answer now
Thanks, TheOutcaste...I have now blocked this person as "unsafe". So just to recap, that means their emails will be automatically deleted, then? I thought they might just go into my junk mail and I would have to delete them myself, thereby seeing they're still sending me stuff...

Made me laugh when I got to the end of your post! Thanks for the cheer-up!
Computer Specs
Member with 9,028 posts.

24-Jan-2009, 06:45 AM #8
That's the theory anyways, anything form a sender on the blocked list should go straight to the deleted folder. I believe messages older than 30 days are auto deleted, just like the Junk folder.

Won't stop someone from using a different address to get around it. Can't find anything that says if there is a limit to the number of entries you can have. 200 pops to mind, but that may be from quite a while ago.

I've actually sent that message to a pest before. Always wanted to find out if they actually called their ISP...

Jerry

24-Jan-2009, 06:49 AM #9
That's really helpful, Thanks again Jerry.
LauraMJ has a Photo Album
Computer Specs
Administrator with 12,415 posts.

24-Jan-2009, 12:21 PM #10
I don't know about hotmail, but my email server will allow me to block ISP addresses, and if you are able to do that, then no matter what email address this person creates, if he sends it from his computer, it will not get through to you.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!