Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Internet connection but can't get any browser to work

(!)

Computer Specs
Junior Member with 5 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
04-Feb-2009, 12:14 PM #1
Internet connection but can't get any browser to work
My system automatically updated to IE 8 a few days ago and now I can't get it to display any webpages. I have tried firefox and Safari and they will not display any webpages either. I tried to re-install all of them and they still don't work. I have windows xp pro, sp 2. I know there is an internet connection because msn messenger still works. I, unfortunately do not have a back-up disk for XP. What can I do if anything or do I just give up and take it to a shop. I can ping anything I want btw.
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,239 posts.

Experience: Getting there...
04-Feb-2009, 12:26 PM #2
That's curious!?! Why would your system automatically update to IE 8?

I'm running XP Pro SP3 with IE 7 and I've never been prompted by Windows Update to install IE 8.
Junior Member with 8 posts.

04-Feb-2009, 01:16 PM #3
I use Firefox but latetly my system has been bugging me to do an automatic upgrade on IE. It doesn't do it automatically but if smiley reacted to the nag note, and clicked ok, then it uptaded.

I'd suggest system restore and go to a restore point a few days or more before the update. That should reset the system and bypass whatever changes the new build of IE enacted.

Just left click on the start button, then choose help. On the help screen if you look around there is a button for system restore.
Computer Specs

04-Feb-2009, 02:18 PM #4
Restore date
I have tried going back to a month or so for my restore date and it won't complete the restore.
Junior Member with 8 posts.

04-Feb-2009, 07:09 PM #5
Once upon a time I'd say just use your local library, and download IE or Firefox, but I'm not even sure you can download the whole program anymore, now they seem to be installers.

But, you can go to a friend's or library computer to Softpedia.com and download Portable Firefox which is only 8mbs. Use a USB drive, you should be able to find a small one or to gig for under $8. Circuit City maybe...

Then remove IE

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs

Start by removing the update. Reboot, if still problematic then remove Internet Explorer. Reboot, and start Portable Firefox from your USB port.

Then using the portable Firefox with IE gone you (hopefully) can get back online. Then go reinstall either Firefox or IE.

Might be worth a try...good luck.
Computer Specs

05-Feb-2009, 12:50 PM #6
Browser download
I tried that already lol. Still the same result. Thx though
Computer Specs
Gone but never forgotten with 6,782 posts.

06-Feb-2009, 07:24 AM #7
Look in the listing of installed programs in "Add/Remove" via the Control Panel. If IE 8 is there, remove it. This works for IE 7, so it might for 8. Your previous version of IE should reactivate.

{redoak}
Computer Specs

06-Feb-2009, 11:00 AM #8
Still not working
I have tried un-installing and re-installing. It still doesn't work. Doing fresh installs of any other browser also don't work
Computer Specs

07-Feb-2009, 04:23 AM #9
Why did you re-install? My thought was to work with another version of IE, and also see if the other browsers were ok. A trial and error approach.

{redoak}
Computer Specs

09-Feb-2009, 10:51 AM #10
I have done all that. Different versions of different browsers and they still won't work. Thx for the input though.
Computer Specs

09-Feb-2009, 12:48 PM #11
You may have a malware infection. Click "Report" in the lower right and ask that your Thread be transferred to the "Security/HJT" Forum.

{redoak}
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!