Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Moving DBX files into Outlook Express

(!)

Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
05-Feb-2009, 03:29 PM #1
Moving DBX files into Outlook Express
Recently I converted a good number of Mozilla Thunderbird files to DBX files.
Now I am trying to add and open these files in Outlook Express. I tried moving "sent" DBX folder of files to my sent box in Outlook Express. Initially got a dialog box indicating my security settings would not allow. So I changed my Outlook Express security settings and was able to move into mail message as an attachment which I sent to myself. This message came back but I am still unable to open all these messages and send to my Outlook Express "sent" folder. I need some help as many of these messages are important to me.
Moderator with 13,764 posts.

05-Feb-2009, 03:53 PM #2
Hi MaineMan35

To restore single .dbx files and avoid overwriting the existing default .dbx files in Outlook Express, you may need to rename the converted .dbx files.
If you have an Inbox.dbx file you want to restore to Outlook Express, rename it to Inbox01.dbx to avoid overwriting the current Inbox folder and its messages in Outlook Express.

Since Sent is not a default folder name in Outlook Express, that name should be safe.

With Outlook Express closed, Paste the .dbx file into the Message Store.
Locate the Folders.dbx file and rename it Folders.old
Start Outlook Express, a new Folders.dbx file will be created, which will reindex the .dbx files including the new .dbx file.
This process may take a few minutes, Outlook Express may be slow to open during this process.

Your new Sent folder should appear containing your messages.

Let us know if that works for you or not.
Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

05-Feb-2009, 04:41 PM #3
EAFiedler,

What is the "message store"?

All these dbx files are in separate folders located in "My Documents" file.
When I click on each of these folders nothing happens.

05-Feb-2009, 06:18 PM #4
Find the Message Store in Outlook Express:
Start Outlook Express,
Tools > Options > Maintenance tab > Store Folder button
Note the directory location, then Cancel out of the window.

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to that directory.

.dbx files are not meant for you to open, Outlook Express opens the .dbx files.

Last edited by EAFiedler; 05-Feb-2009 at 10:16 PM..
Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

05-Feb-2009, 09:41 PM #5
Is the "folders" or "local folders" the "store folder"? Both of these are dbx files. I can find no specific "store folder". Maybe I need Microsoft Outlook on my computer? I removed it since I only use Outlook Express, version 6.

05-Feb-2009, 10:35 PM #6
The Message Store contains all the .dbx files for your Outlook Express Identity, if you have a second Outlook Express Identity, there will be a different directory containing the .dbx files for that Identity.

If you have a Folders.dbx and a Local Folders.dbx file that was converted from Thunderbird, it would be best if you rename them.
Rename the "Converted" Folders.dbx file to Folders01.dbx
Rename the "Converted" Local Folders.dbx to Local Folders01.dbx

The renaming will keep those .dbx files (from Thunderbird) from interfering with the .dbx files containing the same names, that already exist, in the Message Store.

No, you do not need Microsoft Outlook, as it does not use .dbx files, Outlook 97 through Outlook 2007 use .pst files as the container for its messages.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,021 posts.

06-Feb-2009, 12:19 AM #7
MaineMan35,

Question for you.
Didn't you save the messages out of T-bird as EML's?
How did you convert them to DBX?
SEE HERE.
Could you please enlighten us as to what exactly you did.
Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

06-Feb-2009, 12:48 PM #8
EAFiedler & throoper,

I have thoroughly searched all my files and can find only one set of dbx files. I converted Thunderbird message files to dbx files. As far as I know, I did not save the messages out of T-bird as EML's. I also moved all Outlook Express message files from Outlook Express to My Documents and created a new folder for these messages. I think I did this before converting the T-bird files to dbx files. So now, as far as I know, all my Outlook Express files are in the new folder in My Documents. I'm afraid I may have created to much a mess to try and straighten out. Do I still go ahead and rename Folders dbx file and Local Folders dbx file? I think EAFiedler is saying that the "message store" refers to all my existing dbx files. Am I correct?

06-Feb-2009, 02:08 PM #9
Yes, it sounds like things got a bit messy.

When you start Outlook Express, can you see the messages that you had previous to moving the .dbx files around?

Did you actually Move the .dbx files to My Documents, or did you just copy the .dbx files to the My Documents folder?

Again, look for the Message Store (contains the .dbx files for the current Identity in Outlook Express).

Start Outlook Express,
Copy and paste the Directory location in your next reply, so we can see where Outlook Express is keeping the Message Store.
Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

06-Feb-2009, 02:33 PM #10
Yes, I can see these files in Outlook Express although I have since deleted some of these messages.

I believe I actually moved the dbx files to my documents. The reason was so I would be able to make a backup copy of these messages when backing up my documents.

I can find no "Message Store" in Outlook Express. Just lots of dll files.

06-Feb-2009, 02:38 PM #11
Try again.

Start Outlook Express,
Copy and paste the Directory location in your next reply, so we can see where Outlook Express is keeping the Message Store

There is a directory in that field, it may look similar to this directory:
C:\Documents and Settings\User Account Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{Long Number}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

06-Feb-2009, 03:16 PM #12
C:\Documents and Settings\Nicholas Barth\My Documents\Outlook Express Messages Folder

NOTE: This is the folder I created in My Documents, but there is no "MESSAGE STORE" folder in this group of files, except possibly "Folders. dbx" There is also a "LOCAL FOLDERS.dbx" folder. Otherwise all other folders conform to the folder under Local Folders in Thunderbird.

06-Feb-2009, 03:42 PM #13
The "Message Store" is just a name or reference to the location containing the .dbx files that Outlook Express uses.

The Outlook Express Message Store is located in the folder you have named: Outlook Express Messages Folder

Did you really name a folder, Folder?

Don't get hung up on the names Folders.dbx or Local Folders.dbx, those files are required by Outlook Express and are part of the Message Store.

**For your converted .dbx files, how did you convert them from the Thunderbird format?**

Did you copy one of the converted .dbx files to the Outlook Express Message Store, rename the Folders.dbx file to Folders.old and start Outlook Express to see if the new folder appeared?
Computer Specs
Member with 36 posts.

06-Feb-2009, 04:18 PM #14
I used a conversion program I found on the net to convert T-bird files to dbx files. Don't recall what it was.

I did not copy converted dbx files to the Outlook Express Message Store. I think I moved Outlook Express Message Store to My Documents first. Therefore, I must assume that ALL my dbx files are now in the Message Store, including the converted T-bird files. So how do I now get the T-bird files into Outlook Express so I can see them? My present Message Store is apparently now the only place where ALL my Outlook Express files are located. What about if I downloaded and installed Outlook Express version 6 (which I am now using) on top of my present Outlook Express. On second thought this would probably make the situation even more complicated.

06-Feb-2009, 04:25 PM #15
Unless there were problems with Outlook Express, there isn't any point to wasting your time, downloading and reinstalling Outlook Express.

With Outlook Express closed, open the Message Store:
Rename the Folders.dbx file to: Folders.old

Start Outlook Express, if the converted .dbx files are compatible, they should appear in Outlook Express.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!