Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Incoming email stuck Outlook Express

(!)

Member with 724 posts.

21-Feb-2009, 05:58 PM #1
Incoming email stuck Outlook Express
I have Outlook Express 5 and Windows 98SE.
I deleted 4 emails from the server but when I open Outlook Express it says it is downloading 1 of 4 messages and it just hangs so nothing comes in or can go out.
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 1,056 posts.

Experience: Einstein
21-Feb-2009, 08:02 PM #2
The easy fix is to delect your e-mail account and recreate it. Outlook things thoses 4 e-mails should be on the server and is tring to download them.
Computer Specs
Trusted Advisor with 5,030 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
21-Feb-2009, 09:43 PM #3
Hi Shamrock,
Move all messages you want to keep out of the Inbox into another folder of your own creation.
With OE closed, open the Message Store folder.
On 98 it should be at C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express or at C:Windows\Profiles\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook Express if you have user profiles enabled.
Find the Inbox.dbx and rename it to Inboxold.dbx.
Open OE and see if that fixes the problem.

If it's still trying to download, close OE and in the Message Store delete the Pop3uidl.dbx. That's the file that keeps track of what has already been downloaded.
Be aware that all messages on the server will redownload when you reopen OE, so you might want to clear out the Inbox at the server first.

T.
Member with 724 posts.

21-Feb-2009, 11:03 PM #4
throoper: it didn't work to delete the Pop3uidl.dbx
my internet server is upgrading their email so even though I deleted all the emails from the server could it maybe be a problem on their end with the upgrade?
Also, could the antivirus software Avast home edition have anything to do with it?
Computer Specs

22-Feb-2009, 08:17 AM #5
I wouldn't think Avast would cause those symptoms. AV's usually will either stop mail altogether or corrupt it if they are the culprit.

You didn't say if you also did the Inbox.dbx. If you have a new Inbox and Pop3uidl, that pretty much rules out a file problem.
The server could very well be the problem. Even though you've deleted the mail, it might not really be gone. If it's at your ISP, you could contact them and have them try clearing it.

In the mean time, you can change a couple settings in OE that may get it usable.
If you can open OE and use the menu:
Tools>Options>General tab.
Uncheck the lines "Send and receive messages at startup" and "Check for new messages every..." and click Apply.
Go to the Send tab and check "Send messages immediately" and click OK.

If it's freezing up as soon as you open it, try going off-line (unplug your modem if necessary) and then try opening OE. Let me know if it's still trying to download 1 of 4 even if your offline.

T.
Member with 724 posts.

22-Feb-2009, 11:47 AM #6
I did not rename the inbox.dbx. I had already just deleted it (before you started helping) and then when I re-opened outlook express it made a new one. Was that ok?
This morning I did what you said and changed the settings to not check for email etc.
I was then able to send a message out to another email address but as soon as I clicked on send/receive it showed trying to download 1 of 4 again. Also, I thought I would just let it 'keep trying' for awhile but after 10 or 15 mins I got this error message:
MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in
module <unknown> at 0000:70d17c9b.
Registers:
EAX=00000102 CS=0167 EIP=70d17c9b EFLGS=00010206
EBX=bff7b98d SS=016f ESP=0281ff80 EBP=bff7b9b2
ECX=caea4310 DS=016f ESI=01a149c0 FS=189f
EDX=bffc9490 ES=016f EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:

Stack dump:
8167cf10 01a149c0 0281ffcc 81681888 70d17bcc 00000008 70d17ba6 bff88f20 01a149c0 8167cf10 00000008 81681888 00000007 0281ffa4 0281fdb0 ffffffff
Computer Specs

22-Feb-2009, 12:20 PM #7
Try it offline. Delete the Inbox and Pop3uidl DBX files again to be sure they are fresh.
You should just get a can't connect error when you open OE.
If it wants to download the 1 of 4 while offline, then it's in OE and not the server.
In which case a New Identity would be the next step.
Member with 724 posts.

22-Feb-2009, 12:43 PM #8
I just got off of an online chat with AT & T Yahoo and she said 'please don't worry we have been receiving many issues related with the same query. It will take some time but after that your issue will resolve itself.'
So, before I do anything else, for the time being I think I will give it a little time and see if they get it fixed.
If not, then I will try what you said throoper.
I will let you know if it gets resolved.
Thanks
Computer Specs

22-Feb-2009, 12:55 PM #9
That sounds hopeful.
T.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!