Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

Solved: YouTube BLACK SCREEN!!

(!)

Junior Member with 20 posts.

Experience: Beginner
24-Feb-2009, 12:38 PM #1
Solved: YouTube BLACK SCREEN!!
Hi

Logged in to YouTube today to find that instead of the player I just get a black rectangle where the player should be! All the thumbnails comments and other options are there but no player.

I don't seem to be alone with this problem. The Youtube community section has thousands of posts on this. I,ve gone through as many as I can bare to find a solution. Things I've tried are:

Un/re-install flash player

re-install latest Java

checked for browser update (internet explorer)

Updated graphics driver (ati for radeon 9800)

downloaded latest XP codec pack

All the above seem to be the only fixes people can come up with on the youtube forum. There are a few that sugest right clicking on the (black) screen, choose "settings" and unchecking "enable hardware acceleration". I'd love to give that a go, but when I right click on settings nothing happens. No options appear.

Any sugestions greatfully recieved. Doesn't seem much point in hosting a channel if I can't watch any vids myself

thanks in advance

blindboyblue
Junior Member with 27 posts.

24-Feb-2009, 12:48 PM #2
Hi,

To maybe help you narrow down the problem more it may be worth trying to load youtube in Firefox as firefox's plugins are seperate to IE.

Then it will help you see if it's an issue with the way your computer is handling the graphics or with the software of the browser (either the browser itself or the plugins.)

Do you have any other problems with video playback from any other programs?

mantis484

24-Feb-2009, 12:56 PM #3
Hi and thanks for the reply.

I'll give firefox a go now.

No problem with other vid sites. I can even watch youtube vids with google video! The problem just seems to be on youtube itself.

I'll let you know how I get on with firefox

cheers

24-Feb-2009, 01:07 PM #4
Just installed firefox and its asociated flash and youtube works! So I guess the problems was/is internet explorer?

Oh well, firefox it is then.

Thanks for that mantis484

24-Feb-2009, 01:15 PM #5
Jus had a quick surf with firefox and scrolling up and down a page seems to be staggered where as scrolling in explorer was smooth. Know why that is?

24-Feb-2009, 01:20 PM #6
Not sure what is happening there but yes okay so now we know it is with IE this is the problem. Which version of IE are you using? May be worth downgrading to the last known stable (if there is such a thing for MS!) release and seeing what happens.

24-Feb-2009, 01:38 PM #7
IE 7. It's been stable up until today. Been using it for about, must be 8 months. I see IE 8 is out or out soon but I think as firefox seems to work ok I'll stick with that for now. If it aint broke and all that.
I imagine the scrolling is easily fixable. I'll just have to check my settings.

thanks again
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,239 posts.

Experience: Getting there...
24-Feb-2009, 01:40 PM #8
You could always try to run IE7 without add-ons to see if the problem persists. If still no joy, try to reset it in the IE7 Options under the Advanced tab.

24-Feb-2009, 02:03 PM #9
Hi karbo

Had no joy from enabling and disabling the IE 7 add-ons BUT the reset has fixed the youtube problem. This is great but I was using youtube last night no probs. It's been months since I tampered with any settings in the Advanced tab. So I'm at a loss as to what the cause might have been.
Still, I now have firefox and IE 7 working.

Thanks to both both of you for your help
Computer Specs
Account Disabled with 2,239 posts.

Experience: Getting there...
24-Feb-2009, 05:15 PM #10
Glad we could help!
Junior Member with 1 posts.

09-Mar-2009, 01:46 AM #11
hey
i am having the same problem as this guy and i did the same thing he did i had to download firefox and it works on that but not on aol still just getting a black screen? also i can watch videos posted on myspace profiles that came from youtube so i am confused any ideas?

13-Mar-2009, 01:13 PM #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajl7303 View Post
i am having the same problem as this guy and i did the same thing he did i had to download firefox and it works on that but not on aol still just getting a black screen? also i can watch videos posted on myspace profiles that came from youtube so i am confused any ideas?

Hi ajl your best bet is to start a new thread for your problem and put what you have tried in there. This thread is marked as solved and so not everyone will be reading it anymore.

mantis484.
Email This Email  Print This Print  Bookmark This Bookmark  Tweet This Send to Facebook Send to MySpace Send to StumbleUpon Digg This | More Services More
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Tags
black screen, no player, youtube

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!