Advertisement

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but they're the easiest to answer.
Login
Search

Advertisement

Web & Email Web & Email
Search Search
Search for:
Tech Support Guy > > >

IE gets stuck on "connecting..."

(!)

Junior Member with 11 posts.

Experience: Advanced
28-Feb-2009, 08:19 AM #1
IE gets stuck on "connecting..."
I've had this exact same problem on 3 computers, using Vista and XP, on different routers. Here's what happens:

I open IE7 and the page never loads. The tab says "connecting...". It will stay like this forever if I dont do anything. It never will go to a "page not found' page or anything. It just keeps "connecting". If I close the browser and reopen it, usually it will connect immediately! Sometimes it takes a third time of closing/opening the browser to get it to connect, but usually the second time will do it.

I can use "IE with no addons" and it works fine, connecting immediately. I've gone in and manually disabled all addons, however and this doesn't seem to help. I went to "manage addons" and selected "all add-ons" and disabled all EXCEPT those from Microsoft Corporation, Shockwave Flash Object, and Sun Java Platform SE Binary and Java Plug-in 1.6.0--11. The two Java addons are the only two that are still enabled but "not verified" I've left these enabled for now for some reason. Maybe I'll disable them also and see what happens.

Firefox works perfectly every time. I'm using if as default for now, but I do need IE for some things and would prefer to just use it for everything.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Member with 4,700 posts.

28-Feb-2009, 09:10 AM #2
Have you cleared your temp files folder recently? I would start off by doing this and then setting IE to check for newer versions on "Every Visit to Page"

TOOLS >> INTERNET OPTIONS >> Then click DELETE under browsing history and delete all temp files.

Then click the SETTINGS button under browsing history and set IE to check for never versions of the page "On Every Visit"

Close and reopen the browser and try again.

Regards,
Rollin
Computer Specs
Senior Member with 204 posts.

Experience: Intermediate
28-Feb-2009, 10:02 AM #3
I'm no expert on this, but have you tried a direct connection? That is without a router?

B.

01-Mar-2009, 09:53 AM #4
Well, I cleared the Temp Files but the "Settings" were already set to "Every time I visit the webpage". I closed the browser but still have the same symptoms. In fact, I've discovered that when I open a browser that gets stuck on "connecting..." I can leave it open and I can open a second browser instance and it will connect immediately while the first continues to try to connect until I close it.

I did notice that after rebooting the computer, the problem seemed to deminish, but it later returned to its frequent behavior. I may experiment with that some more.

I've not tried bypassing the router yet, but I will soon.
Junior Member with 5 posts.

03-Mar-2009, 09:29 AM #5
IE7 not responding when started
Dear Morganza

Iím experiencing all the issues like you with IE7 not responding on start up.

Have you managed to find a solution?
If so, can you let me know?

Kind regards

03-Mar-2009, 12:44 PM #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRaybould View Post
Dear Morganza

Iím experiencing all the issues like you with IE7 not responding on start up.

Have you managed to find a solution?
If so, can you let me know?

Kind regards
When I started rebooting daily that seemed to help alot. It still happens, but not nearly as much. I'm thinking about starting to turn on some "add ons" again and continue to reboot at least daily and see what happens.

Do you let your computer run for days without restart or do you shut it down daily?

If I discover anything new regarding this, I'll be sure to post it here. I don't consider this issue to be completely resolved until it stops completely and I can turn on the "add-ons". Apparently, the add-ons are not part of this problem, though.

M

03-Mar-2009, 01:18 PM #7
Dear Morganza

Thanks for your reply

I shut my machine down daily, and have been experiencing this problem every day now for the last 3 weeks.

Hopefully, there will be a fix soon in the next Windows update

I just want to let you know that you are not alone with this issue.

Kind regards

05-Mar-2009, 08:12 PM #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRaybould View Post
Dear Morganza

Thanks for your reply

I shut my machine down daily, and have been experiencing this problem every day now for the last 3 weeks.

Hopefully, there will be a fix soon in the next Windows update

I just want to let you know that you are not alone with this issue.

Kind regards
LRay, are you by any chance using AVG security suite? I am, eventhough it does not seem to help when I disable it. The problem persists.

I'm just looking for any common thread that may lead to a solution. I have this problem on three different computers. One is XP on a satellite modem, the other two are XP and Vista on a Cox cable modem. Since I set up all of them, I'm thinking it has to do with something I've done on all three computers, such as installing AVG or something. It really did make a difference when I started rebooting everyday, but it still happens enough to be annoying, so I'm still casting around for a solution.

I've read about a lot of other connection issues with IE but none with these exact symptoms until now. It's really weird when I open a browser instance and while it tries to connect I can open another one and it connects instantly. The first will try to connect until I close it. Weird.

06-Mar-2009, 06:00 AM #9
Dear Morganza

Thanks for your reply

I do have AVG (Free edition) installed on my machine which is running XP home (SP3). I have also tried disabling AVG to see if it is the culprit, but like yours has made no effect. I have no other anti-virus/anti-spy ware programs running, just AVG.

Kind regards
Junior Member with 2 posts.

07-Mar-2009, 10:51 AM #10
Thumbs up IE gets stuck on "connecting..."
I had the same problem after installing some software which changed the .NET Framework. I have now installed .NET Framework 3.5 and the problem seems to have disappeared...........for now anyway.

07-Mar-2009, 11:14 AM #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Firth View Post
I had the same problem after installing some software which changed the .NET Framework. I have now installed .NET Framework 3.5 and the problem seems to have disappeared...........for now anyway.
Thanks for the info. I'm adding that to my troubleshooting "toolkit" for this event. I'm still holding the AVG suspect too. These security suites are so entrenched in the OS that they can still sometimes cause problems, even when disabled. I'm going to check on the .net versions on all three computers and update them, then watch and wait.

07-Mar-2009, 11:19 AM #12
Hi Ian

I to have .NET Framework 3.5 (SP1) on my machine, but I still encounter this problem

Kind regards

07-Mar-2009, 10:05 PM #13
Me too,

Vista 64bit SP1, AVG

The interesting thing is that my browser starts up fine in 64 bit mode and in no addons mode(-extoff option)

Just not in normal 32bit mode.

Sits there with "connecting...", and my home page is the about:blank page so it really shouldn't need to connect anywhere!

My addons are...
AUDIO_MPEGURL Moniker Class
Free Threaded XML DOM Document
Windows Media Player
X509 Enrollment WebClassFactory
XML DOM Document
XML DOM Document 6.0
XSL Template

...All addons are from Microsoft.

The problem doesn't go away when I restart.

07-Mar-2009, 10:40 PM #14
Ok, I've found the problem.
Install AVG, IE is stuck
Uninstall AVG, IE works again

Doesn't work after I disabled it, I had to uninstall it to get IE working again.

I'm moving to Avast, I've had various problems with avg in the past, the updates kepted on telling me to reboot when it didn't need to, the updates wiping out the entire program, full computer scans that didn't pick up viruses, etc.
And who knows what other problems it has caused in the past, because I don't go around uninstalling AVG everytime I have a problem to see if it was the cause.

07-Mar-2009, 11:04 PM #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by niknah View Post
Ok, I've found the problem.
Install AVG, IE is stuck
Uninstall AVG, IE works again

Doesn't work after I disabled it, I had to uninstall it to get IE working again.
AVG has been my #1 suspect from the beginning. I have a 3 pack license and 2 single licenses that are fairly new, or I'd ditch them too. I guess I'll ride it out for awhile and see what happens. Their user interface is somewhat tedious anyway. I may communicate some of my concerns with the AVG folks and see what they say. The computer which I'm using right now hasn't misbehaved in a few days though. I investigated the .net framework as a possible suspect and found that I don't have ANY .net installed on this computer. I can't get to the other computers right now, but I've been told that one of the others is working better these days too. Maybe the problem will just go away. That would be OK too.
As Seen On

BBC, Reader's Digest, PC Magazine, Today Show, Money Magazine
WELCOME TO TECH SUPPORT GUY!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

(clock)
THIS THREAD HAS EXPIRED.
Are you having the same problem? We have volunteers ready to answer your question, but first you'll have to join for free. Need help getting started? Check out our Welcome Guide.

Search Tech Support Guy

Find the solution to your
computer problem!